Banner Ad 1

R/C Gato tower attachment question

R/C Submarine modelers

R/C Gato tower attachment question

Postby g2tiger » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:06 pm

Gents,

I posted something on how is everyone attaching the tower to the Gato hull in the fleet boat area. Check it out and let me know how everyone is attaching.

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Charlie, I dont know if you purchased the 5 dvd set of instructions from Caswell but at the beginning of dvd no. 5 Mike Caswell shows his boat and says that his conning tower/bridge structure is attached and held in place with magnets. I think if it was me I would try to attach it with 2 screws. :) see ya , Mark
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Tower mounting example

Postby Theo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi Charlie,

I also have a GATO and looked at all the ways some folks tried to attach their tower and I decided on this approach (see attached drawing). I went down to a hardware store and searched in the nuts & bolts section and found things that, at least had, a rod like section with a ball on the bottom and then looked around for rubber grommets that the plastic ball would fit in. I also sanded down the ball so that it would fit into the rubber grommet somewhat snugly. I mounted the rubber grommets into the hull portion on the sub and glued the plastic pieces with "Fast glue" at each end of the tower section. If the tower section would get hit by something, it would just move a little and not break something. It also allowed for detaching as I have running lights as well as a Hi res camera mounted in the tower section. I hope my drawing gives you a somewhat picture of what I was trying to convey. Best of luck with your project.

Jack

Theo

Return to R/C Modeler