Banner Ad 1

Something Interesting

R/C Submarine modelers

Something Interesting

Postby aquadeep » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:56 pm

Hello

Happy holidays hopefully!

I have just finished this new casing or WTC,I will call it a casing from now on.

This one is for the Dragon sub and is a good test bed as the sub is just the right size.

First of all after looking at the spaghetti of plumbing it might seem a bit complex but in reality it is very simple and straight forward in operation.

The reason this particular casing has all that plumbing is due to the external ballast tank and external hydraulic masts.
The plumbing circuits have to come out then back in.
I did not have to make it this way but in making a hybrid type of sub it is interesting in how it turned out.

The advantage is that the entire diameter of the sub can be used as the ballast tank and hence shorter in length to accommodate more battery space.

The mast cylinder is in the ballast tank and goes all the way to the keel.

There are 2 micro pumps one for the ballast and the other for the masts system.
Controlled by the electronic part of retired servos in this case but can be done with micro switches or an electronic reversing switch.

No other sensors required.

The main power comes in through the red cap not shown but has 2 contacts made from stainless steel screws long enough to contact the 2 brass leaf contacts on the inside of the casing.When rotating the red cap the contact is made and power to the main switch .The main switch is operated from the stern via a rod and sealed by a bellows,this rod then exits the stern just ahead of the rudder making it easy to operate without having to open the casing.

The pump ballast system is the non pressurized one I have developed and works well.
The silver solenoid is used to vent the casing after diving,and will be offering them for sale also.

This casing is a hybrid unit and is not what I will be producing only on special request.But he general layout and components can be seen.
On future units the number of external tubing will be greatly less and the tank will be an integral part of the casing along with hydraulic masts ect.fully acsseable for masts.
Also in the red cap there is a micro servo that operates the front dive planes ,then the rod is connected via a magnetic discs to the dive planes.That way the casing can come completely out of the hull.
The pumps use power directly from the receiver or BEC power and are strong enough to pump ballast and operate the masts in a scale like manor.

!2 volts on the ballast pump would have been better though ,much faster dive.
I wanted to see just how much components I could fit into this one section and I was surprised that I could get that much in without any problems.
Temporaraly a 72 mgz 6 channel reciever are used to do it all,by the way the elevator moves both the stern and bow planes but not in the same direction nor amount,if not it would be very hard to control the sub properly.

The main motor is a water cooled closed loop marine 3.5 ball bearing geared drive unit that has plenty of power and is very efficient ,I have them available as well.The micro pump attached to the motor will be updated to a different more compact set up on future units.

The Legos atached to the casings exterior are for centralizing the casing in the sub and used as screw blocks to keep the unit in place,one screw and out it comes.

The antenna is a base loaded unit that does not exit the casing and I have yet to check out how well it works since the sub is in tank tests only so far.But he casing has been tested fully both in operation and pressurized and sunk to 40 ft. No leaks.
With one twist the entire guts come out and easy access is possible ,just simply great!

Enjoy the pictures and you might want to magnify them.

Dave Amur Ship Yard :D

ImageHere are the 2 brass leafe contacts for main power.

Here it started.
"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Postby redboat219 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:56 am

You can make moonshine with that thing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by redboat219 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Something Interesting

Postby Al Nuci » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:53 pm

Dave, Nice work, Interesting concept, and cooling system as well. I'll have to get with once I get my 66" Disney Nautilus Kit from Bob Martin. Best Regards, and Happy Holidays to you. Al,
Al Nuci

Postby aquadeep » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:23 pm

Thank you Al

Sometimes I feel like I could instal a mini nuke reactor,and if there was something like that out there I know I would try!

We need to get together soon for a fun run ,try the Den its clear now or the Ocala city pond its even clearer now.
But for now Ill setle for moneshine its cold enough even down here in suny Florida!

Here is the red end cap with servo and 2 screw contacts,when locked in place the contacts complete the circuit to the main switch.
Have a Happy Holidays All ,and to all fellow Captains.

"I like submarine comanders ,they don't have time for bull!!" and
"Don't tell me it can't be done!"

President Roosevelt

Dave Amur Ship Yard
aquadeep

Return to R/C Modeler