Banner Ad 1

Homemade Typhoon

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby natesubs » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:14 pm

Forgive me please if I posted this in the incorrect location.

Years ago, I molded a fiber glass Typhoon Class submarine which took me a good while. I became burnt out and eventually put the project on the back burner, if you know what I mean. Just the other day, when searching through the garage I saw the unfinished model and decided I'd just go for it start working on it again.

To be honest with you, I don't even remember the scale I created it in (once I think about it, it may have been 1/218). I do remember that I used a smaller Dragon (I believe) kit and calipers to get some dimensions on it. I have no idea how accurate that little static kit was, but at that time I wasn't shooting for to much realism.

Right now though, to jump start my project again, I have a few questions. Does anyone have any fairly detailed photos of the conning tower, propellors, or back elevator fin (I'm not sure about terminology, sorry!), so that I can get an idea of what I'll need to shape and mold (also if anyone could advise me on what prop's I'll need to accurately simulate a real Typhoons). Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
natesubs

Postby ThierryC » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:43 pm

Hi there

The little dragon typhoon is not very accurate to a real typhoon. The model was created before informations were available to the public about these boats.
So the complete tail assembly is wrong: rudders, dive planes, props.

Hop on my website, I have a gallery with several typhoon pictures. Hopefully they will be able to help you.
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:47 pm

Don't know if this will help you out a lot, but this is one of my favorite sites: Russian Typhoon Scratchbuild Project

Takes you from the beginning of the project to the end, including initial wet testing.

Excellent site, well laid out, and highly informative!

Check it out!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:14 pm

Speaking of Typhoon, my cousin gave me one last summer I don't have any idea about who it's manufacturer is but I think that I have a pretty good idea that it's either a Dragon or a Trumpeter Kit (Did they sell Typhoon models? ???) If you want some pics of it go to my website, follow this link: Russian Typhoon SSBN

Hope this helps!
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby natesubs » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:06 pm

Thanks guys for the all responses! Well, I'm sure the body is out of proportion, but with these new drawings and pictures you all provided for me, I may be able to salvage some realism to my project.

I'll post some pictures on the net and let you guys tell me what you think.
natesubs

Postby Silent Hunter » Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:21 am

Hi Nate! I saw your post and hope this will help. During the construction of my Typhoon, I took many photos so that I could then share them with all those that were interested. See my web photo-gallery at:

http://bigbang.itsamac.com/typhoon/

Good luck, and I hope this helps.
P.S. If there's anything "Typhoon"you have questions on, please write me, I'll be happy to help if I can.

Richard Frisch :)
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby natesubs » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:49 am

Wow, thank you for the link Richard.

I have a quick question. Does anyone know where I could find a good website or location to purchase propellors for my Typhoon?

I may end of having to fabricate those too. As of now, all I have to rely on is very old SCR's that I salvaged from years ago. I need to renew my subscription! If anyone could shed some light for me on how I would be able to create prop's for a unsual scaled sub, I'd love your input.

I will post pictures of the project hopefully this Sunday. I just finished the control surfaces, the rudder, elevator, conning tower and the bow planes.

Thanks!

-Nate
natesubs

Postby Silent Hunter » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:06 am

For your props check out http://www.raboesch.com

I'm not sure just how small they go, and less than 1/200 scale could be a problem alright.

You can always make your own from scratch if need be, it's a bit time consuming, but not really "rocket-science".

Good Luck! :)
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:23 pm

P.S.: I haven't taken pictures of my Typhoon's stern because the prop area is missing some details (just like yours Bob! :D )
for example, the props are 3 bladed instead of 7, shrouds around the props are missing too, and there is one rudder instead of two. These parts can easily be replaced with styrene (since thin styrene sheets are really easy to bend and cut). I'm postponing this restoration project until further notice but I hope to get started this summer.

Captain Nemo12

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:39 pm

Nate,

By missing details this is what I mean :)

Captain Nemo12

Postby natesubs » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:37 pm

Looks like I just may have to fabricate my props. Thanks for the info though.

I'm not to familiar with styrene sheets and how to use them. Instead I came from a school of shaping wood! Could anyone enlighten me on styrene sheets, perhaps you could fill me in Captain Nemo12?
natesubs

Postby skuggan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:20 am

Hi pardon for stealing your topic.
Silent I have mailed you a question regarding the Typhoon.
If you haven't gotten it please mail me at
skuggan@bastardracing.com

best

Andreas
skuggan

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:24 am

I'll add a bit about styrene...

These plastic extrusions come in lots of different thicknesses and shapes (just like plywood, if you're more comfortable with that analogy). Sheets come in pieces about the same size as a piece of paper in thicknesses from paper-thin to 1/16" thick.

There are also extruded pieces such as half round, rod, tubing, I-beams and many more. With the appropriate styrene materials, anything can be built.

Minimal heat allows bending and fabrication of complex curves. A little note... from my experience, don't use CA to glue styrene. You'd be better off with a good plastic cement. When I was gluing my Nautilus detail pieces, the styrene became brittle where the CA reacted with the plastic.

This stuff is invaluable for anyone scratchbuilding a model.

Hope this helps.

Bob Martin
RC Sub.com
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby natesubs » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:49 pm

That definitely helps, can I find styrene at hobby shops, or where would I find these materials?
natesubs

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:08 pm

Most hobby shops carry a wide assortment of this product. Evergreen is a big name around these parts, but I'm sure that there are other manufacturers out there as well.

The displays are ususally a stand alone display stand with packages of styrene sheets arrayed around it, sorted by size. You should have no problems finding some.
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler