Banner Ad 1

Homemade Typhoon

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby natesubs » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:55 pm

Sounds great. I will have to pick up some and start learning how to mold with it. Sounds a lot easier then working with wood!
natesubs

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:14 am

Nate,

Larry's Hobbies on 45 in Houston has a full selection of styrene in their model train room of the store.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:04 am

Ok guys,
Here is one for you. Bob mentioned CA does not react well to styrene. I have some styrene parts to add as secondary features to my Alfa hull. Will not cement not hold with water exposure? If I am right there, what is the ticket for attaching styrene parts to a fiberglass submarine hull?
Thanks
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:08 pm

Wayne,

I'm not a chemical expert (as I'm sure that some on these boards are), but CA will work, you just need to be careful.

Where I ran into problems was when I had bent a piece of styrene out of its shape to follow the contours of my model. It cracked where the stress had been applied to the plastic.

I think with careful application of CA, you should be OK. Maybe the thicker the better?
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:41 pm

I have found that if you pre-form the styrene the application of CA will not fracture the plastic. But still keep the amount of CA applied at any one time minimal. Go back and add more later if necessary. I used this method when attaching the lifebelt track to my 1/72nd Skipjack hull. The styrene strip was something like 0.020" x 0.020" in cross section.

Also, a CA bond will dissolve when exposed to water for long periods of time. The 'fix' is to make sure that the glue joint is painted over, essentially giving it a barrier to the water.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:21 pm

Nate, if you want to know about styrene, I'll help. Yes, styrene do come in different thicknesses, the ones I use are 0.30" thick. 0.20" or 0.16" ones are pretty easy to band. Yes, CA glue does work on styrene, I didn't really apply much on mine but I don't think you should put too much either. I will take pictures of the inside and provide a link to the picture this time. :D
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby natesubs » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:26 pm

PaulC wrote:Nate,

Larry's Hobbies on 45 in Houston has a full selection of styrene in their model train room of the store.

Sounds great, I'll drop by there the day I get back from Lubbock.
natesubs

Postby natesubs » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:28 pm

Captain Nemo12 wrote:Nate, if you want to know about styrene, I'll help. Yes, styrene do come in different thicknesses, the ones I use are 0.30" thick. 0.20" or 0.16" ones are pretty easy to band. Yes, CA glue does work on styrene, I didn't really apply much on mine but I don't think you should put too much either. I will take pictures of the inside and provide a link to the picture this time. :D

Thanks, I'll need all the help I can get! I'm planning on getting my Sub project(s) up and running by the end of summer, or sooner if that.
natesubs

Postby TopGun » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:50 pm

Goto home depot and buy a can of "Great Stuff", it's foam that expands and is sticky as heck. Doesn't seem to destroy the foam and seems to hold up well.

-Tom
TopGun

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler