Banner Ad 1

OTW Trafalgar class - OTW Trafalgar class

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Jim Shearing » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:09 pm

Hi guys..I have just ordered a Trafalgar class sub,and WTC to fit from Bob at OTW Designs. I already have his Type 7C kit which is being built very slowly.It is superb,so I am expecting more of the same quality with the Trafalgar.Has anyone bulit the Trafalgar,and would like to share some info,I would be really grateful for any hints. Thanks.
Jim Shearing

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:42 pm

Hi Jim,

I too have a Trafalgar hull from OTW. I'm making slow progress on the kit....only due to my lack of free time!

This is a very nicely detailed hull with Bob's usual excellent glass-work. I decided to build the hull in much the same way as Steve Warner did with his OTW HMCS Victoria (ex Upholder), which he very kindly documented in an article for the SCR a while back.

Essentially, the upper bow and stern ends are cut off the (upper) hull and bonded the the lower. The middle, upper hull more-or-less then needs something to keep it from spreading out....so I have cut some ribs, one for each end. I used my favorite material, G-10, for this. Once glassed in, the upper hull section is *not* going to spread.

Installing the stern planes/rudders is quite straight-forward. Same for the sail.

This is quite a 'beamy' hull, which should make it quite easy to fit a dive module to it and then trim it out.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby 99-1073702857 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:09 pm

For Jeff LaRue...What is G-10 ?
99-1073702857

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:31 pm

Ah, yes.....G-10!

This is a sheet material that is made from epoxy resin and glass cloth. But unlike a lot of 'sheet fiberglass' materials what makes this different is that the sheets are formed by placing them under pressure (squeezed between two plates?) so that for something like a 1/16" thick sheet there are actually 10-20 layers of glass cloth embedded in it. This creates a very useful materials property iin that this material is very, very strong and will not warp under any condition that we run, store, or expose our subs too. This makes it an excellent material for things like bulkheads and ribs.

I get my G-10 from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com).

-Jeff

Edited By Wheels on 1079491712
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler