Banner Ad 1

Lets talk radios

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Novagator » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:06 am

What is everyones choice these days. I have heard that Robbe F-14 is good and heard this one is good as well http://www.polkshobby.com/
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:14 am

If you're looking for your ALFA, the F14 is probably overkill...but if you're looking beyond your ALFA, the F14 is very expandable.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:36 am

Kinda for both.
John Cottingham
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:43 am

F14 is a decent set, although only useful if you want lots of switched functions IMHO.

If you want a good set for lots of models, then I'd recommend a computer set.

These are well worth the extra cost, as they enable one to store different trim settings for your model inventory in an inbuilt memory.

The FC-16 is excellent (basically an F14 with computer memory and mixing functions).

Cheers

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1078929942
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby M. Munger » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:28 pm

I'd highly recommend the Polks Hobby Tracker II. It includes a freq scanner and the ability to use (program for) any 75mhz FM freq (with the Polk Hobby Seeker II rcv'r), or ANY FM receiver. Eight channels out of the box, should be enough for all but the most animated models. Imagine only having one transmitter to forget when you head off to the lake!!!

The Robbe F-14 is an excellent radio as well, is by far 'more expandable' than you may need for some while. This might be a better choice for twin-screwed boats,

I've been meaning to write a review for the SCR about the Tracker II ('spose this doesn't quite qualify, aye Jeff??)....

Good luck on your project!

Matt
SC member #1848
What part of "Bonds skin instantly" DON'T you understand?? :-P
M. Munger
SubCommittee Member

Postby kd6hq » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:29 pm

For what it’s worth I like the F-14 radio but it get pricey when you start adding the options. I have a tugboat that has several options on it that I could not do with a standard (computer or otherwise) radio. For instance besides directional and speed controls I control a fire pump, on/off, left/right and up/down. On most radios that would take up just about all the controls on the F-14 it’s not even a good start at using all the controls available. Good luck
Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:55 pm

What the Polk's Radio has in function, it is certainly lacks in aesthetic appeal... It makes my Nautical Commander look positively high tech! I hear the guy who designed the case also created the movie sets for "Plan 9 From Outer Space"... :D

Edited By TMSmalley on 1079015304
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:23 pm

TMSmalley wrote:What the Polk's Radio has in function, it is certainly lacks in asthetic appeal... It makes my Nautical Commander look positively high tech! I hear the guy who designed the case also created the movie sets for "Plan 9 From Outer Space"... :D

that is what has been stopping me from like the polk, is the case. it is so darn ugly
John Cottingham
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheels » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:52 pm

Guys you aren't sleeping with it, your just using it. Like Matt already said it's a great radio at a great price. Next time your waiting for your channel to open up think of the ugly duckling. Since you can change fequency channels in a heart beat your never without an option.

Sleeping with mine,
Jim Wheeler :D
Jim Wheeler....."Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Wheels
SubCommittee Member

Postby Novagator » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:36 pm

Wheels wrote:Guys you aren't sleeping with it, your just using it. Like Matt already said it's a great radio at a great price. Next time your waiting for your channel to open up think of the ugly duckling. Since you can change fequency channels in a heart beat your never without an option.

Sleeping with mine,
Jim Wheeler :D

John Cottingham
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:42 pm

Jim,
Do you use a different channel every night? ???
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:51 am

What about a twin stick throttle computor radio? There will be a need for one in my future with the Typhoon.
Anybody?
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheels » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 am

Wayne.....In talking with the people from Polk Hobbies there isn't any plans for a twin stick radio from them. If you really think you need that I would look at the Robbe F14 or F16.

Yes Art I mix the frequencies up for variety.

Jim Wheeler :O
Jim Wheeler....."Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Wheels
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:38 am

Hi Guys, Tim, I loved your picture. The only way to go if you can afford it is a computer radio. I use a Multiplex Cockpit, which I love, and it's not ugly. Ha Ha. But you may want to check out the new radio comming out from Futaba. It is a new 7 ch verson of there computer radio, and will be available on 75MHZ. We saw it at the WRAMS show. It will be out in april. I was told around $270 with two servos. Not bad! Dave. :D
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:27 am

"Wheels" makes a good point - even ugly girls need someone and can be lovable! What I want to know is, can it be operated with a brown paper sack over it? :laugh:

Edited By TMSmalley on 1079016771
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to R/C Modeler