Banner Ad 1

New Krick VIIb kit - MMI review?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:25 pm

Has anyone noted a review of the NEW Krick VIIb kit in Marine Modelling Intl? I have heard there was one - or is one coming up...

It will be a pump ballast boat, 44 inches long (1/60).
Model Specifications;
Twin screw drive, including motors and props
Two cast white metal gun kits
Ballast pump
ABS manufactured hull
Fully detailed deck
All necessary rigging
Step by step instruction manual with full detailed plan sheets

Looks kind of interesting - see more details at
Punctillo Model Spot

I would be interested in what some of our U-boat experts have to say about it, scale wise. Is it at least as scale as the Robbe - U-47 kit?

I talked to Randy Green, the sales manager at Hobby Lobby the other day, and he said they have one in-house right now to evaluate and will probably be stocking them - perhaps as early as April. He told me to keep an eye on their website.

If you are interested in getting one, drop Randy a note at randy.green@hobby-lobby.com so he knows there is some interest in it.

I don't think they have a price yet, but in the UK they are going for about 230. British Pounds Sterling (sans the VAT tax which non-UK buyer don't pay) which figures out to about $425 US plus shipping. Maybe a good starter kit for someone who is only interested in WWII boats?

Have any of our Euro SubCommittee members bought one yet?

Tim Smalley

Review of New Krick U-Boat kit on the Jotika website

Edited By TMSmalley on 1079040387
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:05 pm

I'm still not an expert, but I can compare it to the
Revell kit.
From that it can be seen that the aft part is a little too
short, but the front is WAAYYY to short. Especially
the double row of floodholes give that away.

But, if it is an acceptably priced model, and it has good
handling properties, the scaleness should be a minor factor.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:00 pm

I was in the hobbyshop today and noticed that Marine Modelling International January 2004 issue has a build-up of the kit featured. It sounds like fairly straight-forward construction - simpler than the U-47. Uses the bulkhead method, rather than a WTC, with several clear hatches on top needing to be pulled off to get at the workings.

Edited By TMSmalley on 1076529856
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:23 pm

I just heard from Randy Green - the sales manager at Hobby Lobby. He says the new Krick U-boat (in photos posted above) will be in the Hobby Lobby April 2004 catalog (released around 4/15/04). It should be on the website about the same time.

Boat $219.00
Accessory pack, (heat shrink, lead weights, wire, solder) $25.55
Drive Unit $173.00
Adhesive $5.70

That's $423.25 if you buy the whole works. I am not sure what the "drive unit" is all about or why it is priced separately.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby boatbuilder1 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:11 pm

hey people
I built the first one available here in the states last summer and now building another one for customer
it is a great little boat
but does have a few issues follow the directions very carefully and make sure you glue the gaskets down with rubber cement I didn't and had leaks galore but since I did that they are gone
als I altered the way the aft control surfaces were done I cut the top off the aft section of the hull about 4 inches long this is a buch better way to due the connecting linkages and then I glued on strips of scrap plastic all around and it was a perfect friction fit also hav ethe stern planes operable it was a tight fit but I did it they are on a y harness and work in conjuction the bow planes but opposite I will post pics on my website soon but it you want my honest opinion go with a wtc from D&E they will fit perfectly
ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Return to R/C Modeler