Banner Ad 1

Seeking advise on Engel subs - Any 'but' before buying?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Silent Hunter » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:50 pm

Thanks for your kind tip Thierry! However what you may not have observed is the screw caps on either end of the WTC that I open during the charging process, this provides ample venting and eliminates the need to remove the entire hatch. I noticed quite a while back how you made a smaller opening in your hatch cover to allow for battery servicing, I thought that was a very good idea. Thanks for visitng my photo gallery and your kind comments. :)
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby ThierryC » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:08 pm

Indeed I had an opening for the battery in my lid. The opening was just big enough for the battery and 2 fingers, so that I could take the battery ot of the WTC for charging.
I noticed that you have two screwcaps on either end of the WTC, but they are not at the very top of the WTC, and remember that hydrogen is lighter than air and thus rises (Hindenburg anyone ?) This means that you trap a msll volume of hydrogen right below your hatch. You could add two small computer fans behind the screwcaps openings, on sucking air in the WTC and the other expelling air out of the WTC. This way you would be sure to always have a vented WTC.
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Silent Hunter » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:58 pm

You may have missed the photo on page 2 titled: "cosmetic jar vent". However the small fan idea is good, and one I thought of using early on. I decided not to use that method of venting because 1. The Aft vent cap points straight up. 2. That a mechanical fan, even though it is quite dependable, is also prone to failure. My best recourse then is to manually take a deep breath and blow into the the WTC vent, expelling all traces of explosive mixture, just prior to sealing it up. This way I know for sure there is no H2 in the compartment. P.S. (Keep in mind, and I know this is remote) there is always the possibility of H2 building up after the battery has been charged and you've sealed the compartment. You're now running your sub, a potential floating explosive device. Now whatcha gonna do? We could get all panicky and completely elimininate H2SO4/Pb batteries in lieu of NiMH, but there's still a gas generation potential. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed, and keep trying to blow up the other guy's ship first, rather than my own.
:)
Richard Frisch
Silent Hunter

Postby toneburst » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:03 pm

Hi again,

just wanted to let you know I ordered the 'Lafayette' from Engel, totally different from what I planned initially. The U-19 looks to be a definite technical-no go and the Pat Henry's a great kit but a bit to bulky. The decision to go for the Lafayette is based on the comments I got from all of you, and a lot of positive reviews an messages on the German Modelling Forum.
Thanks again for all you replies, hint and tips.

Bye,

Jos.
Bailed out aircrew please report here......
toneburst

Postby Silent Hunter » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:01 pm

Good luck then on your new project and have fun! Keep us all posted on your progress. Remember, this is the best place to get answers to your questions on model submarine construction......from the people who've been there. :)
Richard Frisch
Silent Hunter

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler