Banner Ad 1

OTW submarines

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby georget » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:53 pm

Hi everyone, I'm about to purchase my first submarine and wanted to know what everyone thought about the sub I want to purchase. I was looking at getting the OTW Vangaurd, how is it? Detail, ease of build, fun? :)
georget

Postby Sub culture » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:19 pm

Hi,

I have a Vanguard.

It' s a brilliant kit, and extremely accurate. All scribing is predone on the castings, and the pump jet is well rendered.

If you don't mind a little bit of scratchbuilding it's a good kit, but perhaps a tad advanced for a beginner (you may need to make up some fittings).

Have a word with Bob Dimmack of OTW, he give 100% excellent service and will be happy to advise.

Cheers

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby georget » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:15 am

Hi Andy, do you have any pics of your Vangaurd? Also in what areas do you need to scratchbuild. As for modelling I'm pretty advanced, so scratch building wont be a problem.
georget

Postby Sub culture » Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:59 pm

georget wrote:Hi Andy, do you have any pics of your Vangaurd? Also in what areas do you need to scratchbuild. As for modelling I'm pretty advanced, so scratch building wont be a problem.

My Vanguard is as delivered, apart from a few bits of work to the hydrovanes- haven't had much time to do any modelmaking for the past year or two! :(

However, I can tell you that you will need to build the following-

Linkages to WTC, hydrovane pivots, saddles for the WTC.

No big deal actually, but I know some folk like to receive everything in a kit.

You will also need to source a suitable WTC or scratchbuild one.

OTW produce WTC's, but they are quite expensive I believe.

D & E minatures 3.5" WTC would very likely be suitable, although you may need some further gearing for the motor to spin that fanjet.

You could also adapt a Sheerline WTC, but I'm not sure if they are for sale anymore (unless purchased with a hull).

OTW cast their boats light, so you won't need a huge ballast tank to lift the beast out of the water.

The fan jet is lost wax cast in aluminium, so it is quite heavy.

I'll try and get some pictures to you over the weekend.

Cheers

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler