Banner Ad 1

Charging a gel-cel

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby ThierryC » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:45 pm

Hi all

I am going to use an electric engine to trickle-charge the gel-cel in my sub. I have been playing around, and can produce, for exemple, 1.2V from the engine I will use as a generator. I put a diode in between the + of the battery and the + of the generator to prevent the battery from cranking over the generator. Thus the battery is being fed 1.2V. Is this fine or this going to damage the battery over a period of time, I know that the voltage to charge a gel-cel should vary according to various parameters. So should I use some sort of device to regulate the voltage from the generator ? And if yes what and where can I find it or how can I build it ?
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Novagator » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:25 pm

I think it would be easier just to have two different systems, the gas engine and have a server move a gear to engage the electric motors, than to try and fastion a generator to recharge the batteries, however, electric motors spun by another motor become electrical generators.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi Guys: :)
Couple of inputs for you. First, a diode typically has a .7 volt drop across it's junction which should be considered when determining applied charging voltage. Second, gel cells should never receive a charge for more than 12-18 hours on a trickle charge. Beyond this, you tend to "boil" the gel and damage the battery. Best is to go to the manufacturers site and see what is recommended as to charge current rate and time for the gel they are using.

Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler