Banner Ad 1

New ballast system in Hunley - RCABS

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby TMSmalley » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:01 pm

I put one of Art Broder's blood pressure cuff ballast systems in my HL Hunley and just had the chance to test it today and it worked great. I need to move the bladder back a tad more as she was a little light in the bow, but she went up and down on command!

More shots on my website at
RC-Submarines.com Go to "What's New".

I also have a couple of shots of Gary Phillips' 11 foot long submarine test tank he built in his basement to work on his 32nd P Type VII.

Edited By TMSmalley on 1076937890
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:23 am

Tim,
Thanks for your confidence in the RCABS,(Recirculating Compressed Air Ballast System). The system can be useful as a refit, as in your Hunley, or as a primary ballast system, or as a backup (failsafe) system. It is small and inexpensive, and can usually be fit in an existing WTC. A complete description will appear in the March issue of the SubCommittee Report.
I have available a few of the little air pumps, which are the key to this system. The article describing this system appears under Documents on my web site,
My Webpage
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:41 am

Hi Art, I try clicking on the Documents in the left hand side of the screen, and it keeps taking me somewere else. Am I doing something wrong? :D Is there another documents to click on I am not seeing. Thanks, Dave. BTW-Tim, I ordered one of Arts pumps and may try to use the system in the Turtle. Dave.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:55 am

Dave,
You may have to "join" my MSN group to see the Documents page. The Pictures page can be seen without joining. Joining is free and easy. I just automatically accept any SubCommittee members who apply, and check that other applicants really have an interest in model subs.
Your pump was mailed out on Sat., and should arrive Tues. or Wed. I included a copy of the ballast system article, in case you can't see the text article under Documents on the web site. Good luck designing your system.
Art
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby 99-1073702857 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:24 pm

I too am in the process of converting my present Engles Patrick Henry into a wet hull boat that will use Art Broders system. It should reduce the weight of the boat by about thirty pounds and result in longer run times and simplicity of operation. Art Broder is a first class guy, very knowledgable and helpful, and his ballast system is everything he claims it is. :laugh:
99-1073702857

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:48 pm

The system you are describing, has been in use here in the UK since the 1960's.

It was first developed by a chap called John Darnell, and the compressed air system was later refined by a chap called Nick Burge, who introduced the concept of a module based system with a fixed tank and water sensor.

Today, excellent dive managers are available which contain a water sensor, failsafe, proportional compressor ESC and a servo controlled air valve all in a smart, solid state package that weighs less than a servo and has a very small footprint.

I would like to see the system refined further to include proportional control over the ballast, very much like the Piston tank system.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby 99-1073702857 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:48 pm

Hi Andy,
The dive managers that you speak of in your post...What is it called, where do I find one, and how much do they cost?
Chuck
99-1073702857

Postby USS Silversides » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:59 pm

Chuck- You have mail :;):
USS Silversides

Return to R/C Modeler