Banner Ad 1

Transmitter question - switching the switches...

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Bob the Builder » Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:25 pm

I have an Airtronics VG600 radio, and I want to swap out the switch on the upper left hand side (up/down postitions) for a switch that has three positions (up/middle/down).

I have a three position on the upper RHS already that operates my ballast system, and I want another to run my SES-II switch for lighting.

Can I swap this two-way switch out with a Futaba three way switch? Are they compatible? Would it work simply to pull the old one and install the other? I haven't tried taking it apart yet, so I don't know what's in there for wires yet.

Question #2: What would an SES-II do if it was connected to the simple two way switch. My thoughs are that the one circuit would remain open until it was thrown, at which time the other would activate, with no "off" position with neither operating. Does this sound right?

Question #3: Does the SES-II require a minimum amount of voltage to switch over. Mine was working great until recently, and I'm thinking that my main battery is too weak to activate it. Make sense? I'm charging it up now, but I've only got a 200mA charger, so it takes a long time to trickle charge (at least another 24hrs).

Thanks a lot.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:43 am

Bob the Builder wrote:I have an Airtronics VG600 radio, and I want to swap out the switch on the upper left hand side (up/down postitions) for a switch that has three positions (up/middle/down).

I have a three position on the upper RHS already that operates my ballast system, and I want another to run my SES-II switch for lighting.

Can I swap this two-way switch out with a Futaba three way switch? Are they compatible? Would it work simply to pull the old one and install the other? I haven't tried taking it apart yet, so I don't know what's in there for wires yet.

Unfortunately, no. You can't replace the switch. The 'gear' channel is a simple on/off channel with no adjustment. It can not be converted to a 3-way like the flap channel.

You can add a channel expander to the Airtronics Radio. In fact, I've seen a how-to article somewhere on installing the channel expander on the Airtronics VG600 by replacing the flap adjustment pot and modifying the flap switch. Its harder to install on the flap channel than on one of the four main proportional channel, but this way you don't lose one of your four proportional channel.

I can't find the link to the how-to article I mentioned above, but when I do, I'll post it.

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Return to R/C Modeler