Banner Ad 1

new upgrade fro robbe u 47 - hull mods

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby boatbuilder1 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:42 pm

hey u 47 builders I just performed a nice upgrade on the hull and it looks nice
the kit as molded is quite inaccurate no surprise there
the stern and bow need to be more sharper almost knife like edge the stern is done by cutting the 2.5 inches off make sure its a square cutor you will have a hard time with it. then using sheet styrene I made a sharper stern and used four small sheets and shaped them with a wood dowel and heat gun to conform the the hull and then glued then in place plus I made an inner brace to add rigidity the new stern is an inch longer so you will need to cut a new aft deck but its worth the effort
the bow is done a bit differantly it can be done one of two ways you can add thin strips of styrene that get thinner and thinner as you get farther fromt he bow it iwll take 6 to 7 strips and then sand to shape or you can use sheet styrene and make a pointed nose that ways but it will add more work and shaping
either way you will like the change the bow is the atlantic bow and looks great I will post pics on my site soon
you should gather referance material first .
I thoght of this after seeing Jeff's great otw kit and noticed the sharpe bow and sternt hen checked my referances and was I surprised
hope you take this in to consideration and let me know if you do I would like to see the work
ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby safrole » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:14 am

Please post pics if you have any. I would be very interested in that.
safrole

Postby boatbuilder1 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:05 pm

have pics of mods but need to know how to post pics here can anyone help

ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby kd6hq » Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:03 pm

CA

They need to be linked to a remote storage site. So store the pictures on a remote site (web page or file transfer are) and link them here. If you do not have a site then e-mail them to me and I will post them for you.
Send them to : kd6hq@sonic.net

don

Edited By kd6hq on 1072292651
Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby kd6hq » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:13 pm

CA - here you go

Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby toneburst » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:33 pm

Pretty much a Venture this operation (nice!)...think one should only try this during initial building. Have the idea the lower side of your stern should be a bit 'rounder'. Maybe the pictures aren't showing enough details to me, so I could be wrong.
I understood you did a same job on the bow, thus introducing the 'atlantic bow'. For all 'maybe-modifiers' a thought: as far as I know the 'atlantic bow' was introduced later in the war, and not all U's where equipped/modified with it, so a combination of U-# and yes/no atlantic bow should be made if you really wanna have it realistically scaled to the max.
Besides this I know the 'dream-arts' firm in Germany is in the phase of introducing a 'pre-fab' atlantic bow, that can be glued tot the original U47 out-of-the-box bow. As far as I've been able to look at it, this mod is easy to do on an already fully build U47. Just re-paint etc. and your done.
Thanks to my 'rivet/welding line project' I will just skip this kinda mods for know.
Check http://home.planet.nl/~beast/status.html to see what I mean about this. Pictures are pretty heavy detailed, so take some time to download.
Bailed out aircrew please report here......
toneburst

Postby kd6hq » Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:03 pm

toneburst

How was the rivit project done? Were they dry transfers?

thanks

Don
Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby toneburst » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:53 pm

Hi Don,

it's a (more then) complete set from the same Germany firm I mentioned before (as is the VIIC conning tower & periscope material). The material is made from about 0.1mm thick self- adhesive plastic, stuck onto a non-sticky backing and covered with a protective foil. Just cut the material out in form or amount of your choice, stick it to the hull and remove the protective foil. It's about the same way the automotive striping you can buy for your car. The adhesive is very strong. If you try to remove the rivit/welds after a day it tears away the intital base coating!
For the rest it's just a lot of patience and precision. I used various plans and drawings for the most correct placement of lines and rivits. You need a 'bubble-level eye view' for the job.
Some detailed pictures of the set itself are on the bottom of this page http://home.planet.nl/~beast/mod.html (text is Dutch, but not important)
Manufacturers page: http://www.dream-arts.de/export/p8.html (German).
Right now I'm in the phase of weathering the U(96 in my case). The material is supposed to be placed on the base paint, under the final coating. Might have 'finished' pics one of the next days. Is definitely starting to look marvellous...
toneburst

Postby Lundberg » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:45 am

Hi,

thank's for posting images and also the URL http://home.planet.nl/~beast showing riveting and weldline details.

Since I'm in progress of refurbishing and modifying my U-47 I've taken the oportunity to start adding weldlines as well.

This image looks like a great reference...

http://home.planet.nl/~beast/Pics/Bbfrontfinish.JPG

Again, thank's for posting this info in the forum, most appriciated.

/Bjorn

PS. I believe my boat will look great with Jeff LaRues etched brass deck, the Accurate Armour conningtower and these additional details.
Lundberg

Postby toneburst » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:27 pm

Hi Bjorn,

you'r welcome... Try to keep the forum updated. It's allways good to look at someone else's work. The more idea's the better....

Jos
toneburst

Postby THH » Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:21 pm

Hi,

could you post some pictures of your "robart" dive system?

THH
THH

Postby toneburst » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:57 pm

Oooops,

that will not be easy. As for the pressure- system it's not that hard but the 'ballasttanks' (bicyles tubes) are well hidden in the original sadlletanks. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when the light is sufficient (it's dark here right now) for close-up pics without flash. Will signal back.

Jos.
toneburst

Return to R/C Modeler