Banner Ad 1

I'm Worried - Are these holes too  large?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Brady » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:26 pm

Here's my Dumas Akula. I'm trying to make it like Dave Welch and others have by creating a more scaled appearance. Anyways, I've been cutting out the 40 square holes on the sides of the boat and I need a second opinion. Do they look ok? I know that they're not exactly square and perfect (This is my VERY first R/C sub) but (with some black paint over them :;): ) do you think they'll look ok? Here's a link:

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet....5&size=

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet....a&size=

Does anyone have any suggestions for cutting these holes out? I've still got 12 to do on the other side. Thanks a million for the help!

-Brady

BTW the black and gray marks are sanded off magic marker and Tamiya Putty. :)

Edited By Brady on 1073276737
Brady

Postby USS Silversides » Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:56 pm

I need a professional opinion

I can't give you that, as my experience with stuff like this is very limited. (I am also working on my VERY first one) But on my scratch built Gato, I also have a lot of holes to cut.

First, if I am going to be making a lot of the same sized holes, I make a stencil, first on the computer, then I transfer it to some thin material. Then using the stencil, I trace out the hole with a pencil. (I have also thought about taping the stencil to the work then cutting the hole) Then I drill the hole out and shape it carefully with a Dremel. Next I use needle files to clean up the rest.

This is probably just about what everyone does!

Edited By USS Silversides on 1073267843
USS Silversides

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:57 pm

I would like to know where you got that little scale flag on the sail?
If the holes are too big,then not by much. I worried about the same thing on my alfa.(My first hull).Hey, you can always submerge if you feel self concious. I am no expert,but I think it will be fine.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Brady » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:24 am

As for the topside flag. I scaled a pic of the Soviet Naval Flag down to 1/2" long and then compied & reversed the image and put the two together at the ends leaving a small space between them. I printed this out on paper and after I cut it out, glued it around the end of a swing pin with the head removed. After that, I stuck the flag right where the crew hatch would be.

-Brady
Brady

Return to R/C Modeler