Banner Ad 1

New to subs, want to build a ROV - ROV, cameras radios, newbie

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby surge » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:49 pm

Hi, I am new to R/C sub modelling and am interested in building a ROV. I have found a few PVC pipe based ones on the internet, I think that's what I want to do. I plan to use it in salt water and understand that I either need control wires or an antenna above the surface and want to equip it with a camera.
I have built larger electic surface boats:
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/482.html
So I think I can do this, I am hoping for sea trials by May of 2004.
Anyone care to comment, share experiences?

Thanks!

Seth
SC#2664
surge

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:56 pm

Tim Smalley has a cool one.
It is the first thing you see when you click on the link for what's on the bench in the general forum .
He was kind enough to share the plans with me. It is a "back burner project for me,but not far from complete. The principle is sound and can be easily modified.
If it is not what you are looking for,it is a great starter to try the principles.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby surge » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:27 pm

Hmm, I should contact Tim, it seems.
Also, seeing as I am interested in "flying" a tube structure thru some current, i was thinking I would need some thrust. I am considering 24V for the bilge pump and a DC-DC conveter for the reciever. And 24V for the camera or 12V. I bought the HBOI boo, so that's a start.

Anyone play with a ROV in salt water (I plan to play in an estuary)

Thanks!

Seth
SC#2664
surge

Postby MB1754 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:58 pm

If you're interested, there a book out called "BUILD YOUR OWN UNDERWATER ROBOT AND OTHER WET PROJECTS" by Harry Bohm and Vickie Jensen. It has two types of ROVs that you can build(if you have the rights size PVC pipes). It sale for $21.95 at "Harbor Branch" gift store(they have a YAHOO! store online). I have it. Its a good reference book. :D

Mike Boyd #1754
MB1754

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:17 am

I have been getting a fair number of emails about my homebrew SEAFOX ROV from SubCommittee members. You can find a good number of ROV sites on the web - there is also a Yahoo group devoted to inexpensive homebrew PVC ROVs. If you are interested in ROVs, check them out. See the links below.

One of many ROV sites

Here is a link to just about every homebuilt ROV website out there.

Mother of all ROV Link pages

Homebuilt ROVs

Yahoo homebuilt ROV group

Steve Thone's Homebuilt ROV's page: www.homebuiltrovs.com Steve has multiple ROV's and he maintains a good link page to other home made ROV's. He also has some sample u/w video he shot with his "SEAFOX"

Steve Thorne's ROV site

STEVE THORNE'S SEAFOX
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler