Banner Ad 1

APC3 with PCM transmitter/receiver

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby AkulaII » Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:27 am

Hi,
Ever since I started this hobby my favorite has been SubTech APC3 with PCM Futaba transmitter/receiver. But there's a debate here at KSC(Kobe Submarine Club) about whether APC3 can be used with PCM radio equipment.
My understanding is that PCM & FM transmitter differ in how the radio control signal is sent and not how the servo is controlled. So APC3 can be used in PCM or FM mode just the same. Any help is appreciated.

I tried to contact Mr Skip Asay but my return address was refused by his mail administrator.

Thanks in advance.

AkulaII
JAPAN
AkulaII
SubCommittee Member

Postby Skip Asay » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:16 pm

Hello Yoshiro -

I'm sorry you haven't been able to reach me via email. It's most likely a result of all the email "spoofing" of this past summer.
If you have the same email address you have used in the past, I will contact my ISP to see if they will allow your mail to get through.

PCM (Pulse Code Modulation), basically, is how the transmitter talks to the receiver. The signal from the receiver to the servos is still the same as all other systems - PWM (Pulse Width Modulation).

There are an awful lot of people using APC-3 with PCM radios so I guess it's safe to say that it works! And don't forget that if your boat has bow planes you can bypass the receiver entirely by using APC-3 (as well as APC-4) in stand alone mode. Just feed 5 volts to it.

Skip Asay
SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby AkulaII » Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:29 pm

Hi Skip,

I'm still using my old email address. It would be great if you could contact your ISP to let my mail thru.

Anyway, appreciate your reply, Thanks. It should clear things up in a hurry.

Best and Happy New Year Everyone !
Yoshiro
JAPAN
AkulaII
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler