Banner Ad 1

Photo etched deck robbe U47 - How to fasten?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby THH » Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:18 am

Hi,

on this weekend i got my photo-etched deck for the robbe U47 from Ships n´ Things.
It´s really excellent...Jeff LaRue did a very good job.
Does anybody have pictures of this deck fitted to a robbe U47?
What is the best way to fasten it on the orig. Robbe Hull (there should be the possibility to dismount it if needed)?

regards

THH
THH

Postby Lundberg » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi,

I haven't actually seen this deck IRL but I'm in the process to order one myself and when it comes to the bow and stern sections of the deck I can imagine that one could use the bollards to hide the mounting screws just as in the original kit.

Do you think that would work?

When it comes to the center section that could be a little bit difficult, for example you have the deck railings that needs to be drilled and glued to the deck/hull firmly.

I think I will glue the center deck section in place, hopefully I'll never have to remove it again ;-)

/Bjorn

PS. I have the original deck mounted so I'd have to remove that first and replace it with the etched deck.

Edited By Lundberg on 1066810370
Lundberg

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Oct 14, 2003 6:40 pm

Some folks use a rubber-based cement to hold the deck into place. I prefer to rely on mechanical means to keep the deck in place....especially since the metal deck will expand/contract at a different rate than the underlying plastic.

For my Type VII's I use a number of things to hold the deck sections in place....all items that are normally seen on the deck. No exposed screw heads and such for me!

We're talking about things like the bollards, sound head, fairleads, deck gun and hatches. Also don't forget that the conning tower can be used to hold part down too.

The December issue of the SCR will include an article that I am writing that details how I built the OTW Type VII....but sections like attaching the deck apply to any U-boat.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby kd6hq » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:53 am

THH

How's your deck coming - have you or are you taking pictures?

tnx
Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby MIT » Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:34 pm

How much is this kit ?

Nick
MIT

Postby boatbuilder1 » Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:31 pm

I secound jeff's idea mechanical is the best and jeff pioneered the idea and I have used it since I was informed of it

kudos jeff

ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Return to R/C Modeler