Banner Ad 1

receivers - what kind?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby petn7 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:06 pm

any recommendations for frequencies or types of receievers? like does 75 or 27mhz work better for udnerwater range in pools? however about single or dual conversion receievers? also, if let's say 75 mhz is recommended, should i use high channel number or lower channel number?
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby KOEZE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:45 am

As a rule of thumb you can say that the lower the frequency the better it penetrates the water. However. I'm not sure if this applies to frequencies in this range. The effect might not be noticable.
Do however keep the legislation of your country in your mind.

Here in the Netherlands it is (since 1999) illegal to use the 35Mhz Transmitters for anything else than flying.
It is kind of a big issue here since they allowed it in say 1989 and banned it in 1999. There are a lot of modelshops that don't know about it and they still sell 35Mhz units to boatbuilders and carguys.
Another thing you might want to check out is if babyphones (intercoms) are in the same frequency spectrum as your transmitter. 27Mhz is used here in the Netherlands for such devices and there are channels that use the same frequency as model transmitters. You wouldn't want to have to dive for your model when the neighbours baby starts crying would you.

Last thing is investigate which frequensies are most common in your area and don't use those.

For pro's and cons of dual conversion check Google.
One last piece of advice.
Don't use PCM transmitters and recievers as they shut down the reception at the first sign of trouble. They are also know to have problems with some addon gear like x-mixers and stuff like that.

EJK

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Postby petn7 » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:32 am

yeah well, i was wondering if dual conversion or single conversion was better when taking into account underwater use in a chlorinated pool.

thanks for the other information. i wonder if it's possible to get a 72mhz radio system retuned down to 27 mhz...

Edited By petn7 on 1070627742
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby KOEZE » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:00 am

It's possible to retune it but it involves some pretty expensive work on your transmitter (and reciever too). However if you have a transmitter with a HF module you can simply switch them.

Check this out for single conversion / dual conversion recievers.

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Return to R/C Modeler