Banner Ad 1

Need Plans for WTC - I could use your input

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Silent Hunter » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:48 am

OK, so there's some 50 views on my post on looking to buy a 3" WTC but no replies, that tells me I better get to trying to create my own.
I have the materials and the equipment to create the entire package, but I've never done this before. Anyone out there willing to pass on bits of knowledge? I could sure use your help. :) Plans or drawings would really be helpful. Thanks!!
Whoops! almost forgot! This is for a 1/96 scale Permit class, so is single screw. :D

Edited By Silent Hunter on 1069491058
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby Sub culture » Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:17 am

Okey dokey.

If you want to use a gas pressurised ballast system then take a look here for drawings-

http://www.deepseadesigns.net

If that kind of ballast sytem is not your cup of tea, then you may wish to take a look at a book titled 'Model Submarine Technology' authored by Norbert Bruggen.

It's not a perfect book, but it's probably the best (only?)reference for the sub scratchbuilder out there, until someone writes something else!

There is a lot of information on the net too.

However, one of the best ways of learning what works, and what doesn't is to look at other members boats and speak to them.
You will quickly find out, that all the various ballast systems have their strengths as well as their weaknesses.

For my own recommendation I would give the following-

1. Dynamic diver
2. Water pump ballast sytem (Vented or sealed)
3. Gas ballast sytem

I've listed them in order of simplicity and cost.

Don't think that one is inherently inferior to the other though.

More advanced systems would include

1.Compressed air ballast system (using onboard compressor)
2. Piston ballast tank system (i.e. Engel tank)

Cheers

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:45 am

Other WTC options:

There is an article written by Dr. Art Broder slated for an upcoming issue of the SubCommittee Report on how to build his ballast system that uses a blood pressure cuff. You can go to Art Broder's website for more info on his blood pressure neoprene bladder ballast system.

Past SCR issues available for $7 each from by going to this area of the SubCommittee site SCR back issues
Get the Sept 2000 issue 42 "RC Sub Ballast Tank" and the Dec 2000 issue 43 - "Building an RC sub pressure hull" both by Greg Sharpe.

Another good series of articles on building a nice simple step by step WTC/ballast setup was written by Matt Spade and appears in the March and June 2000 issues (issues 40 & 41).

Or, you can go to this site - Jim Butt - The Bob Villa of RC Subs!

Edited By TMSmalley on 1069535816
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Oday27 » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:39 am

What is going on here ?

Is this a dying hobby ?

Almost 70% ofthe links I have tried no longer work.

Would someone so kindly re-fresh the links posted and take out the "dead ones" ?

Just a thought.

Nick
Oday27

Postby sam reichart » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:30 am

every one of those links worked when I tried opening them. suggest you clear your cache, restart IE, try again.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:23 pm

The above links work for me too.

However - some of the vendor links and other links on this site no longer work - hopefully when(?!) the new SC site is open for business, those will be weeded out.

Until then - if you're looking for RC sub hobby-related links try mine at RC-Submarines.com and click on "Vendors" and "RC Submarine Links". I try to keep them up to date and dump them whenever I find one that's not working. :;):

Tim Smalley

Edited By TMSmalley on 1070051554
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler