Banner Ad 1

Torpedo Sizes? I would like to find the measuremen - Anyone know?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Ramius-II » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:16 pm

Hi All: :)
I would like to find the measurements for the torpedos used on a Typhoon sub. There appear to have references like: VA-111, 65K, SET-65 and SAET-60M. They look a little longer than most of the torpedos I've seen. ??? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Ed :cool:
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby ChernoyaOkula941 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:23 pm

4 x 21" (533mm) bow mounted
4 x 25.6" (650mm) bow mounted
w/BA-111 Shkval, Type 65-76 (650mm),SET-72,TEST-71M,USET-80 torpedoes.

I could not find any pics exept for Shkval.

Spartak
ChernoyaOkula941

Postby KOEZE » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:00 am

Is that thing for real.

I remember reading about a rocket propelled torpedo in one of the novels I have. That thing was purely fictional. Can't remember what it was called though, or the author of it.

EJK
You don't stop playing because you get older,
you get older because you stop playing.
KOEZE

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:19 pm

Thanks Spartak, :)

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:06 pm

This is totally off-topic (kind of), but on the subject of rocket-propelled torpedoes. If anyone is interested, I've been following an interesting site that delves into the idea of supercavitation.

Deep Angel

It's purely fictional, but pretty neat viewing. Make sure you've got a decent connection speed... the site is pretty graphically intense.

I guess the premise is based on actual technology, the basics of which involve accelerating an object underwater to high speeds, at which point the water vaporizes around it. The object is no longer travelling through water, but air. Theoretically, extremely high velocities could be achieved.

I think I read somewhere that the Russians were/are playing with the technology for their torpedoes.

Even if it's just fiction, the idea of rocket powered submarines "flying" through the oceans at high speed sounds really cool.

Edited By Bob the Builder on 1069790845
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby ChernoyaOkula941 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:18 pm

Hey thats a weird one they have the shkval torpedo in there it looks exactly like the real one!!! They should get sued by the Russian military!

Nope Just kidding,

Spartak
ChernoyaOkula941

Postby ChernoyaOkula941 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:21 pm

Hre they are...[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/row/Shkval-2.jpg
ChernoyaOkula941

Postby petn7 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:52 pm

maybe seaquest going at 180 knots underwater is actually possible? :D
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby safrole » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:58 pm

Here's the page link where that image was referenced. Interesting reading.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/row/shkval.htm

Now if someone can just figure out how to use an Estes rocket motor to drive a torpedo while blowing microbubbles all around the front and sides...

(It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.)

_----_
( x 0 )
| ~ |
---
safrole

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:30 pm

In my misspent youth I shot a few Estes model rocket motors from an underwater launch rod. After insterting the nichrome ignitor wire into the nozzle, I dripped some candle wax into the nozzle and the parachute charge end to seal it up*. (Don't try this at home - "you'll shoot your eye out kid.") Not sure about the micro bubbles though. Maybe a bunch of Alka Seltzers? :D

*NOTE - this worked like a champ as long as my battery was good and I didn't keep it underwater too long so the cardboard tube would start to leak but I could never get a good vertical launch. As the rocket broke the surface, the surface tension always caused the rocket to veer off course. I guess the big boys had the same problem with the Polaris birds.

ImageGo to this webpage to see a movie of an Estes rocket being fired underwater
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:28 pm

About 35 years ago I tried an Estes rocket to launch a "torpedo" underwater by radio. There were some onlookers who had gathered to watch the launch, which was successful for a few feet. The horizontal 'torp" then broke the surface, went about 30 feet up into the air, and exploded with a pretty loud bang. That was the parachute release mechanism for the rocket. My wife screamed in disbelief, and grabbed the arm of a total stranger next to her, for protection!
Not too safe.
I now use safety goggles even when launching my "improved", CO2 powered missiles from my 1/72 L.A.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:25 am

Or maybe you'd like to try electric torpedoes instead. Here is a pretty good website on the subject. He uses them for RC PT boats, but with a little work, I think sub launched wouldn't be too hard.

Scale Electric Torpedoes

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:49 am

Tim,
I recently tried a similar, but less complicated, electric torpedo plan in 1/72 scale, but have not yet succeeded. See my current plan at Art Broder's Models Click on Pictures in the left column, and open the torpedo album. I'll continue working on it this winter, and let you know when it gets operational.
Art
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler