Banner Ad 1

parastolic pump - pump

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Art Broder » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:05 pm

Andy,
I haven't measured the pressure, but it does produce enough pressure to cut off the circulation in your arm when used in an automatic blood pressure monitor (sphygmomanometer). I took my pumps out of those machines, and I can bring my models up from the bottom of the deep end of my pool, and from every body of water that is safe enough to run my subs in.
The Goldmine-elec pumps, mentioned in your post, were made for the same use, in a blood pressure machine, and test OK for use in the Recirculating Compressed Air Ballast System, that I use in my models. I don't know how long this slightly different type of pump will last, but my original pumps have been used for over five years without problems.
The article on the RCABS (ballast system) is scheduled for this December's issue of the Report, but it can be seen now under Documents on my web site,
at Art Broder's Models oryou can do a Google search for Art Broder's Models and click Documents in the left column.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:05 am

smwarships wrote:The problems with this pump is the wear caused on the hose
from the fingers rubbing it and compressing it .
There is some hose out there someplace that can be used
with this pump , however I do not know what type of hose
that would be or where to get it ....
Does anyone have this information ? ???

Darle

Darle,

Small Parts (www.smallparts.com) sells several kinds of tubing. Their catalog states that one of the common applications for 'Vitron' tubing is peristaltic pumps. Vitron is a kind of synthetic rubber. The tubing is rather expensive compared to other kinds of tubing, $6.90 per foot for lengths of < 10 feet.

Here's the link for their Vitron catalog page:

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/2060+.cfm

I've never built a peristaltic pump, I just happened to come across this while going thru the Small Parts catalog today.

Hope this helps,

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby TennesseeJim » Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:29 am

Two Questions for SubCom#2021:

1) What did you use for a closed tank?

2) I notice this pump says it is sealed. Does that mean it can be placed in the wet part of the hull?

I already bought the pump. It seems to work well. I'm not sure what to use for a closed tank that can withstand the pressure.

Thanks for your help - Jim
TennesseeJim
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:35 pm

Hello,

Not a reply from the guy you requested, however I have some experience of the ballast system you are describing.

A sphere is the best vessel for withstanding pressure, however they are tricky to build, and to incorporate into scale models. They are also totally unnecessary for our application.

A closed cylinder is more than sufficient for a sealed ballast tank.

Generally, 3mm (1/8") acrylic/lexan/polycarbonate/PVC tubing is sufficient with flat end caps double that thickness (as they have to withstand an additional shear force) will get the job done. If you want to use domed end caps, then the material thickness can be reduced to the same as the cylinder walls.

You can use other materials, i.e. thin sheet metal. Just depends on your skills, tools and facilities.

Running the pump in freeflood area may be okay, however in my models I prefer to fit everything in the module/WTC- just looks neater and better engineered to me.

Cheers

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby TennesseeJim » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:52 pm

Thanks Andy!

Edited By TennesseeJim on 1069523610
TennesseeJim
SubCommittee Member

Postby SubCom#2021 » Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:36 am

SubCom#2021

Postby TennesseeJim » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:39 pm

Thanks for all the pictures. You obviously put a lot of thought into the layout of the tank. This helps a lot because I had been wondering how to place the tank in a horizontal position and still get all the water out.

- Jim
TennesseeJim
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler