Banner Ad 1

Is Dynamic Diving that hard to work with? - Does it get annoying?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Brady » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:47 pm

I am researching the Dumas Akula and I learned that It was a dynamic diver. Is this that hard to work with? Does the sub just spring up to the surface once the throttle's released, or can she lurk at the borrom? Would it cost that much to convert her into a static diver? Thanks.

-Brady
Brady

Postby Art Broder » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 pm

Brady,
I built two dynamic divers 30-40 years ago and had a lot of fun running them, before I moved up to static divers. They were wood hulls, and one is stll in good working condition. They need considerable forward speed to submerge, and cannot lurk on the bottom, because they are positively buoyant. That is a safety feature. My suggestion would be to buy the kit and build it as per plans as a dynamic diver, and convert it to static diving, with a ballast system, after seeing the problems of sub construction, trimming, and driving. It's nice just to get something in the water, and then to save and dream and plan and do research for the next stage.
Your air frequency radio is not legal for ground or water use, even though it might work. Switching crystals to make it legal at 75Mhz might not work, because the radio would probably have to be retuned professionally to restore it to adequate range. Radio South could probably convert it, but it might not pay. Research cost vs. new or used surface frequency radios. Hope this info helps.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Slats » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:53 am

as above
John Slater

Sydney, Australia
Slats

Postby Brady » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:00 am

Can they tool around at low speed near the bottom, like on minimum power? Thanks.

-Brady :)
Brady

Postby Crazy Ivan » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:10 am

Can they tool around at low speed near the bottom, like on minimum power? Thanks.

Yes they can, if trimmed with a minimum amount of reserve buoyancy. See my response to your "Does she dive?" posting.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:56 am

Just a couple of things to add here.

If you can afford the extra, fit a pitch controller of some description.

This will make control more pleasant for any model sub, but all the more so for a dynamic diver as they tend to run a tad faster underwater, and are thus more prone to submerged trim problems.

Choose a design that is streamlined. The akula is excellent in this respect, but other models i.e. Type VII are less impressive.

Also the smaller the boat, the better it is suited to dynamic diving.

A streamlined model will be much better behaved in the water.

One disadvantage of running low residual buoyancy, is if you get caught in weed while submerged, then there is a good chance it will stay put.

But it is the only way you'll make a dynamic boat run submerged at low speed.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler