Banner Ad 1

Di-Electric Waterproofing Agent - Waterproofing Electronics

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby TennesseeJim » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:00 am

I came across a product called AREOPLATE. The web site I found it on says that treating r/c radio components with it will make them "almost impervious" to damage cause by water. I was wondering if anyone had tried this product? Also I wondered if it would allow a person to use servo's without placing them in a wtc? The product can be found at:

http://www.swampworks.com/Catalog-Radio%20Systems.html

Thanks - Jim
TennesseeJim
SubCommittee Member

Postby No1_sonuk » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:44 am

Well, bearing in mind that Swampworks usually deals with targets designed to be occasionally sunk, it'll probably work for submerged servos while they're not operating, but I wouldn't try it for prolonged submerged operation.
No1_sonuk

Postby safrole » Sat Oct 11, 2003 8:00 pm

Here's a nice article.
http://www.ircwcc.org/manual/WATERPROOF/SERVOS.HTM

BTW this warship club looks very interesting. An element of danger makes any hobby twice as fun.
safrole

Postby fung pang » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:17 am

the AREOPLATE does works, I have seen a servo and a small trian run in a fish tank for 3 days( same servo? ) at the NY WRAM show, and I use it as a insurance.

if it works, one may build a 100% all wet hull, been there, done that, came home with only the transmitter.
* note, not with the AREOPLATE, is something call THE STUPH, I didn't have $$$ to try it again. *

there for I try to over kill everything.

fung pang
fung pang

Postby toneburst » Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:46 pm

Besides the the option in the article mentioned above, there is an option to use 'self-vulcanising' (hope this is the right expression) for the servo casing. Secondly if you mount the servo upside-down and fill the gearbox with something like silicone-grease, it will be waterproof untill about 6ft below.
Cheap and easy solution.

Jos.
Bailed out aircrew please report here......
toneburst

Postby Bigdave » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:50 am

I have used "STUPH" for many years now. I keep a small brush bottle of it in my tool box. I coat all the metal parts of my boats before I run. I does a good job of protecting the parts from H2O, BUT! It will not protect them from heavily chlorinated pools. Don. Are you reading this, HINT HINT. (Sorry private joke) :D Dave.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler