Banner Ad 1

Dumas Akula

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Matt C. » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:49 pm

Has anyone built a static diving system for the dumas akula? If so, what method and parts did you use? I am very curious as I have built it as a dynamic diver, and I wouldn't mind tearing it apart to put in a ballast tank!
Matt C.

Postby mike byers » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:19 am

I too have a Dumas Akula, tho' I'm far away from dynamic or any other type of diving! I would like to get any ideas for finishing the thing, and making some modifications.

The article by George Protchenko in SCR# 54 was of great interest and help to me.
De Profundus

Mike Byers
SC# 2486
mike byers
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:08 am

Mike & Matt:

I am in the process of converting my Akula to a nearly-static diver using a pump system. I have sealed off the area below the WTC for a ballast tank. My good friend Dave "BigDave" Welch built his with a gas system, enclosing the ballast tank within the WTC itself. I will be submitting a follow-up article to the SCR covering these two conversions as soon as I finish mine.

Mike, I'm glad you found my article useful. If you want to get an idea of what can be achieved with this model, do a search on these boards for "Akula" and you will come across some photos of the beautiful detailing job Dave did on his. I believe Tim Smalley also has pixs of Dave's boat on his RC Submarines website.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler