Banner Ad 1

Engine problems? - Props come to sudden stop :-/

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Lundberg » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:04 pm

Hi,

ran my boats today in a large inhouse pool, after some lead and foam adjustments the Nautilus ran just fine.

However the Robbe Type VII did not perform well at all, I had some strange motor problems which I did not have last time I took her out for a spin. What happened was that the boat launched forward and just about when it was going to dive the props came to a sudden stop.

It seemed like the boat ran fine when going in reverse but not when going forward, very strange :-/

I don't think it's a R/C reception issue because I use the same transmitter and receiver for both boats.

I wonder if it can be some kind of electrical problem with the speed controller or similar, does anybody have any advice to share on how to troubleshoot this?

Maybe I should try and check/redo all the solderings for the propulsion system? Could it be bad soldering?

/Bjorn
Lundberg

Postby Sub culture » Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:19 pm

If the motors run okay in reverse, then it doesn't sound like bad soldering to me.

To be honest it does sound like a speed control issue.

If you can get access to a multimeter (or buy one, a cheap one will do) then you can measure the output from your controller to the motors. Also would be worth checking the current being used by the motors.

Another way would be to try the controller in another model.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby safrole » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:54 pm

When I mounted the motors in my Robbe, the mounting screws went too far into the case of the motors, just by a hair's breadth. I ground the tips off and they turned freely. That's probably not your trouble because it should have additional clearance under forward power since the screws enter the case from the rear. I've got to concur with Andy about your speed controller.

--Jay
safrole

Postby Lundberg » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:40 pm

Hi and thank's for your advice,

I've been testing the boat in my workshop and as one might expect it runs perfectly fine , I will however try to meassure the output from the speedcontroller.

I also found something that might have been the problem but I'm not sure, as you might or might not know the Robbe U-47 comes with 2 couplings for the propshafts that use a rubber hose for connection.

I noticed that I had not followed the updated instructions properly CA-gluing the rubber hose to the metal connectors on each side, now I've fixed this so it will be interesting to see if it was as simple as this.

Thank's again

/Bjorn
Lundberg

Return to R/C Modeler