3. 4 tube torpedo system
4. Modify drive for bearings instead of stuffing tube
5. Video
6. Change out conning tower
7. Add brass etched deck
8. Brass net cutter
9. Sonar possible – should fit – Humminbird
10. Lights
I have not seen a mechanical conning tower set ?

Any one know of any more modifications that have been done?

:cool:

Makes me wonder if I can surface again......

Edited By kd6hq on 1064104028
Don

Keep the faith.....
kd6hq

Postby safrole » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:37 pm

I've spent some time looking for mods such as those, and have found some of what you reference. If you (or anyone) can send me links I could organize a little library of mods on my site.

The closer my boat gets to being finished, the more excited I get. Even my wife is asking when it will be done. (I almost fell over the first time she asked THAT without being sarcastic.)

Here what I have so far.
The Page So Far

If I get some more content, I can make that page a directory to other pages for each mod.

Thanks, --Jason

Another question, what color do you think the deck should be? I am going with a very dark brown, and may shoot a watery light grey over it if it looks too brown. What do you think?
safrole

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:27 pm

Hi Jason,

Looks like some good progress is being made!

What size Engel piston are you using?

The decks on a Type VII, though mostly wood (metal at very bow and stern), were usually not seen in their natural color. A wood preservative was used that, when applied, was initially just about a black color. The effects of sun and the sea would quickly cause it to fade to a dark gray. Boats coming back from long patrols could be seen with decks that were a lighter gray yet and would finally show the slightest bit of brown.

-hope this helps!

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby safrole » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:47 pm

The tank is the 750. My only concern with it is the shifting center of gravity.

Thanks for the tip on the deck color; it squares with what I've read elsewhere. Probably I'll just go with a darker grey than the grey from the lower hull.

--Jason
safrole

Postby toneburst » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:51 am

Hi Safrole,

for your question "Another question, what color do you think the deck should be? I am going with a very dark brown, and may shoot a watery light grey over it if it looks too brown. What do you think?" check out this link: http://www.u-boote-online.de/dieboote/farben.html . I know it's in German, but since we're building German U's here it shouldn't be any problem. This site gives the exact colors for the paintjob.
Problem is that in the early years of WWII the Germans didn't use any RAL color, so it's still a bit guess-work. Secondly, later in the war due to lack of resources 'colors' differed from day to day, and from dock to dock.
Besides this the subs were adjusted to the environmental colors of their area of operations.
The deck was matt-black (anti-slip) in all cases anyway.

Jos.
Bailed out aircrew please report here......
toneburst

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:33 pm

It's not clear to me that we have seen any color photo of a WW2 U-boat with a brown colored deck. The few color photos that are available (like in the 'Vom Original Zum Model' series) look like black & white photos that have been colorized.

The link referred to in the previous reply points to a version of the color guide chart for the Kriegsmarine (very useful for us U-boat builders!). The left column specifies the colors used for the primer or undercoat. The right column identifies the top coat.

The section that specifies "Oberdeck" (upper deck) translates to:

Upper deck: Wood deck. Impregnated with a suitable preservative. Black.

(the second part speaks to the metal parts of the deck)

Regarding the use (or not) of RAL-based colors, the two books that I have that speak to U-boat colors (Anstriche und Tarnanstriche der Deustschen Kriegsmarine & Die Deutschen Uboote Geheim 1939-1945) being RAL colors......?

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby toneburst » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:09 am

Jeff,

if you check out http://www.u-boote-online.de/dieboote/farben_juli_1944.html (it's on the same page, but giving 'stand juli 1944') it definitely presents you the RAL color-#'s. Don't know if this is based on the use of RAL-colors during WWII(I know German technology was ahead of it's time but this is somewhat 'science-fiction' like) or some comparison by someone with the original colors later during last century.

Greetz,

Jos.
Bailed out aircrew please report here......
toneburst

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:08 pm

Yes, those two (book) sources are definitely implying that the RAL standard colors were used. I was/am being cautious because I haven't seen this information linked directly to the Kriegsmarine.

Also, it is my understanding that the RAL color system in use today is not the same system that was used back in the '30s and '40s. So RAL color numbers for WW2-era subjects would not be the same numbers for RAL-coded paint bought today.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby safrole » Tue Sep 30, 2003 1:50 pm

Thanks for the info and the link. If any visitor to my house starts to question the authenticity of my oberdeck color, I'll smack them silly.

You have to forgive my almost complete ignorance about all this. I think I'll go black with a hint of grey for the wood deck parts and dark grey for the metal parts. (Don't forget we're talking about a stock Robbe deck, so the real inaccuracy will not be the paint color.) Maybe I'll get one of your photoetched decks if I don't get in the water before winter.

--Jason
safrole

Return to R/C Modeler