Banner Ad 1

albacore battery charge

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby boatbuilder1 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:46 pm

what type of charger is used to charge the albacore main battery can anyone answer this Ithink skip has said the rx and tx charger could be used but I am not sure

ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Seasub88 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:25 pm

Go to your favorite hobby shop and get a battery charger for 7.2 volts. Skips way works also. Oh yes use that charger on boat only use transmitter charger that came with it.
Shocking events ! seasub88 :D
Seasub88

Postby Skip Asay » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:08 pm

The charger that comes with a radio system is fine for charging the transmitter battery as well as the receiver battery. Neither should be used to charge a 7.2 volt battery pack. The best charger to use to charge virtually any battery is one that charges at approximately 10 per cent of the battery's rated capacity (C/10). In other words, if the battery is rated at 1300mAH, then it should be charged at approximately 130mA. In the case of the battery supplied with the Albacore Deluxe Package (2700mA), I like the Radio Shack part #273-1767 which is rated at 300mA which is close enough to the ideal 10 per cent of 270mA.

But there's something else to keep in mind. As everyone probably knows, C/10 is considered overnight or about 12 hours. That's fine if the battery is fully discharged but not so fine if it's less than fully discharged. A battery that's only 50 per cent discharged will be very much overcharged if left connected to the charger for 12 hours, even if only at the C/10 rate. What to do? Simple. Monitor the battery voltage. Whether nicad or nickel-metal-hydride, I use 1.45 volts per cell when charging. With a 6 cell battery, that means terminate the charge at 8.7 volts.

Skip Asay
SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby boatbuilder1 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:40 pm

thanks skip your a peach
I do have a few of those chargers like the 7.2 batteries for rc cars are 7.2 vt so I will use those connectors and get to work on it thanks agin skip
I do have a peak charger too but never used it how would this affect this battery ?

ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Return to R/C Modeler