Banner Ad 1

The red october - Building my first sub?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby eksek » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:07 am

I'm interested in building RC submarine, maybe a model of the red october (everybody propably knows that movie). Because there is no ready made design, i could use more artistic freedom ;) Model could be about 1m-1.5m long.

I was considering CO2 ballast system and foam/fiberglass epoxy hull. I have done couple of RC boats (BB Calypso and Coast guard) and many plastic kits. I already have 12oz CO2 bottle, electronic MAC valve (3-way), couple of regulators etc (old paintball stuff, now i'm using pressurised air, at 4500psi). But in case of a CO2 leak there should be some kind of emergency valve so the boat doesn't explode? (maybe a little hole with thin plastic/rubber?)

I still don't know how to do the pressure hull (i could just order the wtc from some european shop, i live in Finland).

So, if the boat is about ~1.3m, how should ballast tank should i think of? The 12oz cylinder and co2 does have weight also and when the cylinder goes emptier the sub's weight is affected. Is one tank enough or do i need little trim tanks? and how are those filled/emptyet. Could the trim tanks be manual so i wouldn't need any electronics there.

Where could i get the valve that allows the escape from the ballast tank? (propably electronic and enough flow).

The ballast tank would propably have a hole in the bottom so the water can come in. But do i need some more information about that or is it just a hole? (what about when the boat goes angle? does some air/co2 escape from the tank?)

Thanks for any replies =) (i don't know any rc submarine modellers in Finland)
eksek

Postby Ramius-II » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:39 pm

Hi Eksek: :)
The sub you are describing is called the Typhoon and I'm not sure if there is a hull that size avaliable except from Russia. If you are not a member of the subcommittee, I would very much encourage you to join. One of the book the Subcommittee puts out is a list of members from all over the world and the articles are very useful.
Someone you may wish to e-mail is Bo, his website is http://home/no.net/boati/ and a visit to www.marinerc.com may be worth while. There are quite a few Typhooners there. Thierry seems to "play" with pressure systems so he may be a good resource also.
As you get more and more into subs, you will find the subcommittee to be one of you best resources. They people here are most helpful and very knowledgable.

Best Wishes, Ed
:D
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby eksek » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:23 am

Ou it was a Typhoon, i didn't remember that for sure. But i'll try to get the movie, i remember it wasn't a normal Typhoon, there were some modifications (jet propulsion?) to make it silent.

Thank you for the reply and links :)
eksek

Postby AdriaticSea » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:25 am

Hi Eksek,

there are many other differences between the real Typhoon and the Typhoon seen in the movie "The Hunt for Red October": the hull is longer (If my memory is still good I remember 12 metres longer) and has more beam (3 meters more)...the fairwater/sail is much higher than the real one and it's base is much less "rounded" than in the reality.
There are also differences in the arrangement of the stern dive planes...get the movie and look closely!
BEST REGARDS MAURO
-Rapidi ed Invisibili-
AdriaticSea

Return to R/C Modeler