Banner Ad 1

Remote Video System - An inexpensive wireless, color TV camera

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby John V » Tue May 20, 2003 8:43 am

My Typhoon will be equipped with a remote TV camera in the forward sail area. I plan to use it for looking foward while cruising on the surface and monitoring torpedo and missile launches. I may also experiment with underwater operations in the swimming pool for those rare occasions when women go skinning dipping! Just kidding!

After researching various camera configurations, and realizing this may be an expensive undertaking, I went on eBay. I located a vendor (MaxiVisual) selling inexpensive color, remote, CMOS cameras as a complete package (color camera, transmitter, receiver and cables).

To my amazement, the starting bid was $17.99 so I took the plunge and placed my bid for one. A couple days later I was notified that mine was the winning bid. After paying for the camera ($17.99), shipping ($25.00) and insurance ($6.00), I received the product in 13 days. I figure a total cost of $48.99 is not bad for a remote, color TV system, especially one with a 1000 foot range and a 200 mW transmitter! John's RC Boats
John V

Postby eric_mtl » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:42 pm

John, have you tried it out under water yet?
eric
eric_mtl

Postby Art Broder » Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:37 pm

Eric,
That's the wireless video system I used in my 688I sail at the recent Sub Regatta in Johnston,RI, thanks to John's recommendation of Maxivisual. It works fine just above water, and I will be able to use it to watch missile launches, when I get a new high torque servo for my missile launching system. I got some fairly good tapes of the island and the activity back on shore from my patrol with the video camera on. The visitors to my table loved seeing themselves on TV from the camera in the sail of the sub.
The tape and monitor went blank when the sub submerged. I have the antenna in the periscope, so there is transmission when the camera is just an inch or two under water, but I couldn't see anything. I'll try it in the clear pool tomorrow to see if I can see anything for a few inches or a foot in front of the camera. I did see an image about 10 inches ahead of the lens, on the inside wall of the pail, when I dunked the sail in a bucket of water to test it. The antenna must be above water to transmit. See camera info on my website, in the L.A. album, and elsewhere. Art Broder's Models
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:20 am

Guys,
A pleasant surprise! I went out to the pool this morning, and with the waterproofed camera lens underwater, and the tip of the antenna just above the water, I could see the other end of the pool, 40 ft. away, on the TV monitor! That was under clear pool water.
When the antenna was placed under the water 1 or 2 inches, I could only get transmission 4 or 5 ft away from the receiver and TV.
Better results than I expected.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby eric_mtl » Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:06 am

Hey Art that's great!

I plan to set up a small camera on my Delta with a little antenna floating on the surface above it... I'm thinking maybe of making a little spring loaded spool to always keep the minimum of wire between the sub and the antenna to avoid snags... Unfortunately, the sub is presently in my bathtub while I try and plug-up all the water leaks...

eric
eric_mtl

Postby Art Broder » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:16 am

Eric,
My understanding is that any alteration or change in length of the camera/transmitter antenna would adversly effect reception, so proceed cautiously.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby SubEd Tordahl » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:56 am

Hi Art!,

Sorry I did not get a chance to sit with you at the Regatta, those two day's were a whirlwind!!

I was so impressed with the video that I can tell you mine is already in the mail from MaxiVisual.

I'll be popping it in the the clear dome of the PROTEUS. From there I will try and get it to rotate (the dome has a 360 deg view) on top of a servo. I'll have to find a servo with a good swing arc.

Thanks for the inspiration!
AYS,
"Sub" Ed Tordahl
"Here on the ocean floor is the only independence......
Here I am free......" Nemo
BLUEBACK-GRANT-K432-KEY WEST-PATRICK HENRY
PROTEUS-NAUTILUS-SEAVIEW-SHARK
SubEd Tordahl

Postby Ramius-II » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:12 pm

Hi Ed:
I've seen modified servos on the robot sites that turn 360 degrees. You may want to check them out. I believe there are also some instructions on how to modify one.

Best, Ed :)
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby 70-1048541373 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:40 pm

Hi,

I tried to buy/win a camera from the seller mentioned above, but he did'nt have any at that time. So I picked one up from someone else for $42. I could have waited a day or 2 and bid on some others instead, but $42 was'nt gona kill me...my wife might! :(

I cant beleave how GREAT the picture is! I just got it and tried it out. Will wait and see how well it works in the field but I am impressed so far!

Mike
70-1048541373

Postby SubEd Tordahl » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:39 pm

Ed,

Thanks much for the input!

With your guidance I found these three sites so far.

http://www.botic.com/alsrobotics/servohack.html

http://www.seattlerobotics.org/guide/servohack.html

http://www.leang.com/robotics/info/articles/servo/drvservo.html

I’m sure more are out there.

The good thing happens to be that I have quite a few spare servos (collected over time) to work with.

Again Thanks!
AYS,
"Sub" Ed Tordahl
"Here on the ocean floor is the only independence......
Here I am free......" Nemo
BLUEBACK-GRANT-K432-KEY WEST-PATRICK HENRY
PROTEUS-NAUTILUS-SEAVIEW-SHARK
SubEd Tordahl

Postby Ramius-II » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:40 pm

Hi Ed:
Glad you found them, a really great guy is at: http://www.rentron.com/Products/ServoC.htm

Ed :)
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Greymac52PPC » Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:56 am

I Tried To Find "MaxiVisual", No Luck.
Is There Someplace Else To Find This Camera
System? ???
Greymac52PPC

Postby Art Broder » Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:02 am

It's on E-Bay. Try Google search for MaxiVisual. I just found it again.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby 70-1048541373 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:08 pm

If MaxiV doesnt have any, search eBay for "Video Transmitter". The guy I got mine from (Sunpointusa) has 8 up for auction now. He starts each off at .01!

Mine works great so far. have'nt put it in a sub yet but I think its the same as what MaxiV sells!

Mike

Edited By Floats_like_a_Rock on 1061575739
70-1048541373

Return to R/C Modeler