Banner Ad 1

Capasitor by the regulator? - Finding the correct one(s)

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Robse » Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:35 pm

Hi.

When reading the book that came with my Graupner regulator, they surgest using a capasitor to limit interference, and improve performance. The Graupner numbers are either 91539 and / or 91539G. The capasitor should be placed close by the receiver, on the leeds from the regulator's BEC output, but....

Does anyone knnow how many micro farad's and which voltage they should be rated? No point in paying alot for something I most likely have in my stock in the basement already...
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:50 am

Hi Robert:
My guess is you have a 6 volt system so any capacitor that is rated for 6 volts or more will be fine. As for the value, it is a standard practice to start with a .1 mfd and then add as large a value as space provides. The .1 will take care of "noise" on the power lead and the larger value will become the "cushion" or "reservoir" when servo's are activated. Since the wires we use are very small you can easily get a voltage drop when you start to draw current like when a servo goes to move. Thus, a capacitor of at least 1000 mfd or typically 4700 mfd serves to keep the voltage up for that fraction of a second. :;):

Cheers, Ed :)
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler