Banner Ad 1

Three questions for the price of one! - periscopes,Level control,

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Jim Shearing » Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:50 am

Hi guys.First off i want to thank all the members of subcommittee (of which i'm now also a member) and anybody else who has been kind enough to share their views and experience with me through this forum.Too many names to mention,but suffice to say that through this forum I have bought a second hand D&E Skipjack,equipped it,and got it working beautifully..thanks to all of you!
Ok..three questions on which I would love to hear your views:(they all refer to the O.T.W. 1/32 scale Type 7c Uboat which i'm building at present.)

(1).Has anybody used the (new-ish) Engel SPC-PRO1 sub-leveller which I saw advertised on the web recently?...any views on how it compares to other similar devices would be interesting to hear.

(2).I would love to have the main periscope made to extend and retract on command...has anybody done this,and if so what systems do you recommend . I have seen that Engel also makes a periscope extension kit for some of their subs..is that the best way to do it?

(3).Finally..I may be going too far into the realms of fantasy here...but is there any system available or in development which would let me fit working scopes to the boat>,,(i.e. using a mini video camera etc to send video images back to me on shore...but (and here is the crunch)...using a periscope which is roughly to scale!!!..I checked out the forum library about the H&S periscope system which is no longer available....so what do you guys think...any ideas?
Jim Shearing

Postby Art Broder » Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:21 am

Jim,
I can't help with Engle or OTW questions but I can respond to question #3 about periscope video cameras.
At the recent SC Regatta, Henry, formerly of H&S,(now I think H&J) showed a protpotype of a periscope video device which he said would be in the $2000. range when completed. He said that cost didn't even allow for any profit. A lot of research and development costs went into that project. I don't have his contact info, but maybe he will see this post, and respond.
I had the only functioning wireless video camera at the Regatta, as far as I know, which sent a video picture from the sail of my 688I to a TV monitor on shore. If you go to my site, you can see a couple of pictures of Henry and his periscope setup, and several of my sail setup. With either setup you won't see anything worthwhile underwater, but you do get an interesting perspective of what is in front of the model while it is running. By the way, my little basic video setup cost $50. See My Webpage and look at 'Pictures'.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler