Banner Ad 1

What Radio the THE ONE radio and why?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby 87-1046108477 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:22 pm

Ok boys and girls.... I want everybody to weigh into this one. I only want to buy onle one radio. What is THE radio to buy and why? My first thought is the Robbe's f-14 but another member who said no way! So please everyone gang-bang this post with what radio is "THE" radio to get and why. ???
87-1046108477

Postby ThierryC » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:03 pm

Hello

The "best" radio depends on what boat you have and how many function you need or want.
If you have a single screw boat with the very basics like rudder dive planes and ballast then all you need a 4 channel radio. If you want to add more function like lights, retractable planes, independent propellers, sounds, torpedoes, periscopes, kitchen sink, etc.... then obviously you will need a radio that can handle more functions. I have an F14 and I really like it, it has the navy twin screw so that I can control the propellers of my boat independently which really helps with the turning, and mostly it is expandable: when I first started I only use the four basic channels then when I added functions to my sub I didn't have to buy a new radio, I just bought expansion modules. There are a lot of these modules and they can be adapted to pretty much anything you want. Take a look at Al Matava's website: www.shipsnthings.com
You can have something like 100 channel on the radio, which means a lot of functions before you run out of room :D
I really like that radio and I would not trade it for an ACE or one with a "fixed" amount of channels !

BTW nice typhoon in your avatar ! Is it an Engel ?

Edited By ThierryC on 1047326670
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby 69-1047320490 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:14 pm

I'm sure if you ask 100 people you will most likely get 100 answers. It comes down to your pocket book and how sophisticated a system you have envisioned. For myself, I chose the Robbe 14 Navy twin stick for my Engler Typhoon. The Radio is easy to expand and there are a variety of optional plug and pray boards. The expansion modules use the same connectors as a servo, the difference is the center lead is power (lets say for a light) and the outer two wires are electronic "switches" to ground. One friend has a Futaba and there are no switches for it. You must take a switch and attach it to a servo so when the servo turns, the added switch will close. So which way would you go? ??? As for issues such as transmitter power, the receivers ability, etc. this is typically a function of construction and installation techniques. Where and how you mount the receiver, how you run the antenna, etc. If you have a Ham Radio person available, they can typically assist with proper installation. Or, if you wish, I'll be glad to. :D Hope all this helps.

Best Regards, Ed Cannady
69-1047320490

Postby fung pang » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:25 am

Ones you starded, one is never enough!

1. who will service it, if it is broken.

2. buy the one that your friend has, if some thing goes wrong you could swap parts with him. :p

3. does it look good ON you?

4. don't buy the same frequency, that eveyone has.

(but this will soon be the thing in the pass, the new radio can use any open frequency, by push of a button, some thing like that.)

or check this out, from Polk's Hobby soon.
http://dmsid6.iserver.net/mivasto....=Radios

may get one if they have it at the east coast hobby show.
try to be a nice guy, and everyone can have more fun time under the water.

5. I don't know much about this one.
buy the best top of the line radio system in 72 mhz, then convert it to 75 mhz, add on even more function, this will do you in for the just one radio system.

6. if you have any doubt about it, you could always buy them all!

so which ONE to get?

most of the Transmitter are make for {rc airplane} with 2 sticks, I have to butcher my to make it in to 3 sticks/switch.

F-14 no need to butcher. add as many thing as you like, still in warranty. I think, sorry I don't own one, but like to have one.

fung pang

do what you like, have fun with the hobby. :p
fung pang

Postby 82-1045851831 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:19 pm

Saw an article a few issues ago on the mutiplex radio.Since I am putting a boat together,I am trying one.The article was on the cockpit radio.You can go to www.multiplex.com and see them.Sounds like good potential.Dig through your back issues and read about it.
82-1045851831

Postby Pat Davis » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:54 am

I'd tend to agree with the F-14. I really wish I had known about it five years ago.

The reason is simple, it will expand with the complexities of your models. What may be enough today, may not cut it two years from now.

Pat
So let me get this straight, Your Honda has 1.6 liters, whereas my bottle of Mountain Dew has 2?
Pat Davis

Postby Bigdave » Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:55 am

Hi Guys, I wrote the article and have been using the Cockpit radio for 3 years now. It is a great radio and is used in all of my boats. I have never had problem with it and I love the fact it is the only radio I will ever need. With 9 built in model memmories and being able to download and unlimited number from my laptop. If you have to buy a new radio a computer radio is the only way to go. It is so flexible. I mounted a switch 8 on mine and it made it even better. Every one has a favorite brand of radio but the German company Multiplex has been makeing R/C for many years, and I feel are the best in the world. I had told Jeff I would do an update on my computer radio article. I better get started on it. Good Luck.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby eric_mtl » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:22 pm

Hi, I am new to this hobby (but have several planes...). I just got a ready built Delta and have just received my Delphin kit but I don't have a radio yet. I like the F-14 but am concerned that it is not computerized. SO I am looking into the cockpit MM. Is there a problem that it is not availlable in surface frequencies? Seems that I can only find it in the 72Mhz range...

eric
eric_mtl

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:40 pm

Eric,

The Cockpit MM can be purchased on a surface frequency. Their web site just doesn't advertise it. If you give them a call, you should be able to confirm this.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:43 pm

Hi Eric, Just give multiplex a call. They send the radio to there repair shop and it is converted to 75 MHZ. Then it is shipped to you. They used to do it for free, but now they charge. My cousin had it done last year and it was only around $25 I think. A computer radio is the only way to go! Good Luck, Dave.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby eric_mtl » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:43 am

Thanks, all!

I'm presently checking with my local hobby shop to see if they can get it for me, but otherwise I'll get it from Multiplex or nesail.com...

eric
eric_mtl

Postby 1bigjohn » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:37 pm

Check out polk hobby they have an 8 ch radio with programable feq. It comes with 8ch recever that is also programable , batts, charger and 1 servo for about $275.00.
They are are on the net.
1bigjohn

Postby Tom Spettel » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:41 am

if you go to multiplex check ot there
new profi 4000!!! WOW!!!!
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Return to R/C Modeler