Banner Ad 1

engel tower scope mechanism

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby boatbuilder1 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:12 am

I need assistance with this mechanism I am building a patrick henry for a customer and need help getting it running
here is what I have done
the relay boars is assembled and functions ok
the motor and scopes assembly runs fine (tested with out relays and works fine)
I connected all and am using skips ses ll (electronic reversable switch) to control the unit but when activated all I get is a click from the relays when the stck is moved to extreme ends
no motor and I have checked with multi meter I have voltage thru out
I would like someone to look over my work and see what I have done wrong I will pay for shipping both ways and your work to get it done
my only other option is to send the thign to engle in germany
that could take months

please help
chuck
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Art Broder » Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:55 pm

Chuck,
I believe the SES II provides two single pole switches, and is not the SubTech reversing switch. The reversing switch would probably be the electronic equivalent of a double pole double throw mechanical switch. Did you use the right switch from Sub Tech? Just wondering.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby boatbuilder1 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:16 am

art now that you mention it I am looking over the schematics
the intructions state p1 and p2 (leads from ralays)
the elays are activated as soon as their sockets p1 and p2 are connected to minus polarity
also says p1 and p2 can be connected to a switch module such as multinaut top directly
on the schematic is shows p1 to 2 channel switch A(retract)
p2 to 2 channel B (extract)
this I interpreted as a ses ll switch from skip can you glean any info from this
and would you be willing to take a looka t this thing and help get it working I am always baffled bythe engle stuff as im my opinion it is over engineered the whole unit could be run with one of skips rs 5 units the only draw back to that is it wouldn't stop automatically please let me know if you can help email me please
canderson55@wi.rr.com
charlie

its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Ramius-II » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:31 pm

Hi Chuck:
Maybe I can save you a lot of time and grief.

First, make sure you installed the jumper wire that fits between the two relays. If it is not there, nothing will work. Next, P-7 goes to the +6 volts. P-6 goes to the -6 volts (AKA Ground)

Touching the wire from either P-1 or P-2 to -6 volts will cause the mechanism to either go up or down.

The main objective is to provide ground (-6 volts) to either P-2 or P-1 to cause the mechanism to move.

If after all this it still does not function with a "bench test" (I.E. nothing else connected), check that you have set the bent piece of flat brass to close one of the micro switches. Sometimes mounting the switches one can position them so neither is activated.

If after all of this, you still have difficulties, I can help you over the phone if you like.

Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius-II » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:42 pm

Hi Chuck:
One last thought, The SES-II can be set to latch or a momentary operation. If it is NOT in the momentary configuration, then the UP, for example, stays activated even when you have told the mechanism to go down! It's the same as saying go up and down at the same time.

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby boatbuilder1 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:26 am

thanks I have been playing with it for days now and came to the same conclusion after rereading the directions over and over now its just a matter of how to connect p1 or p2 to ground with a switch
I am going to try a robbe multi switch since the ses ll didn't work strange as it is the same as the multi switch IMO
charlie

its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Silent Hunter » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:35 am

Hi Chuck. Sorry you're having so much trouble with the scope mechanism. I know the thing looks pretty complex at first, but is quite simple. Like Ramius II said, make sure all connections are in the right place, and the tab on the up/down shaft is properly activating the micro switches. I used a Robbe duo-switch to operate the dive plane retract machanism on my Typhoon. I like this because its a heavy duty switch, but perhaps not really necessary. I did link my scope's P1 & P2 leads directly to my Robbe multiswitch decoder, and it works perfectly. I can't knock Engel's product. It's designed to be robust and is really pretty simple. You just gotta use you head. P.S. did you get your sound working yet? Always remember... a lot of your success will come from much trial and error, and a lot more patience.
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Return to R/C Modeler