Banner Ad 1

Thor's Alfa - Which WTC to use?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby 70-1048541373 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:55 pm

Hi,

Quick question for the Thor Alfa sub owners out there!

Which is better...a D&E 3" WTC or a 3.5" WTC?

Thanks!
70-1048541373

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:11 pm

You pretty much need to have a 3.5" WTC's high volume ballast tank to get the characteristically high waterline of a Russian sub. I have had good luck with the D&E 3.5 in my Alfa.
Tim

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby 70-1048541373 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:47 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks for answering. I wanted to ask YOU some questions anyway after seeing your sub on Thor's site!

Is your 3.5" WTC one of the ones with an adjustable ballast system? (I think you use a handle to crank one end in and out to adjust the size of the chamber).

Also, which battery are you using up front?

My dilemma is this:
Do I buy the PERMIT and a 3" WTC or the ALFA and a 3.5" WTC?

I have Skip's Albacore and a "Still-in-kit-form-for-15+-years" 32nd P. Type VII that seems to be gathering more accessories than building time! (have recenty bought a detailed Conning Tower and deck fittings kit, 2 Engel ballast tanks and just ordered a deck from Jeff).

Again, Thanks!
Mike
70-1048541373

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:57 pm

Hi Mike -
The 3.5 has the crank that you can increase or decrease the size of the ballast tank. This makes it easier to move the WTC to another model or for fine tuning surface trim. I like it because its big enough for my big lunch hooks to get inside to work on stuff.

The battery is a 4.5 amp Powersonic. As you can see I had to cut foam disks and insert them in the WTC ahead of the ballast tank to keep her from being too heavy when the tank is flooded.

Can't help you on the choice, though. I guess I'd buy the sub hull I was most interested in the history, appearance etc., etc.

By the way, there are a lot more photos of my Alfa on my website, www.rc-submarines.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby AdriaticSea » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:09 pm

Hi Floats Like a Rock,

I can't help you to choose between Alfa and Permit, but I can assure you that in every case you'll get top quality stuff, and a customer service that has no equals.
I am currently building a 1/96 ThorDesign Permit kit, and, inspite of the fact that I'm a beginner, it's really easy to build, and I like the lines of the great epoxy hull.
You can also have a look on the recent re-engineering of the Alfa kit...really interesting!
BEST REGARDS MAURO
-Rapidi ed Invisibili-
AdriaticSea

Return to R/C Modeler