Banner Ad 1

engel sound system - engel

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby boatbuilder1 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:00 am

wondering if anyone has this and how they set it up
the instructions say to use a mechanical switch or switch with relay's
I am thinking of using skips ses ll
any confirmation on this would be appreciated
also how has anyone tackled the patrick henry there is not enough room to install everything like the plan suggests I mean there is room but not enough to get my ham fists in there and screw all down
any ideas
ca
charlie

Time is a fleeting idea of man's invention.
its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Ramius-II » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:12 pm

Hi Charles:
There are several approches and basically you end up need 6 contact closures. 2 for the module select which is done with binary off-off, off-on, on-off, and on-on. The individual sounds are addressed individually that is one of four only one at a time. The good news is there is one common buss for all the switches so you could use small signal relays tied between the sound module and the expansion module off your receiver. Since I do not know which radio you are using it's difficult to give specific recommendations.
Hope this is of some help.

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby boatbuilder1 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:33 pm

using the airtronics 600
and you lost me totaly I am not a electronic engineer sorry this stuff baffles me
I thought I could use a simple on off switch since the instructions say a mechanical switch or a relayed switch
charlie

its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Silent Hunter » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:06 pm

Hi there. I battled for a while trying to figure this one out. I don't know anything about Skip's SES2. what I wound up using is a Robbe Duo-Switch, and a Duo-Switch Memory, so two relay units total. I also made my own daughtercard that I mounted the lil sucker to. Those tiny wires were just too small to be trying to solder or desolder to during the figuring out stage. I used some small Dean's connectors on the daughtercard so I can unplug the wiring anytime without affecting the actual sound module.Finally got the whole thing to work properly!

I have some photos of what I did as well. If you're interested, contact me.

Silent Hunter
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby Ramius-II » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:16 pm

Hi Charles: :-)
Let’s see if I can clear it up.

You will need a total of 6 on/off switches. We’ll call them Sw1-6.

Sw1 and Sw2 are going to select one of four sound blocks. They are referred to asU1 and U2 in the instructions. They are the pads between the yellow and grey wire. There are no wires pre-installed on theses pads. The black wire is the “common” for all of the connections.

If Sw1 and Sw2 are both off, you have now selected the sounds from block #1.

If Sw1 is off and Sw2 is on then you have now selected the sounds from block #2.

When Sw1 is on and Sw2 is off then you have now selected the sounds from block #3.

When both Sw1 and Sw2 are on, then you have now selected the sounds from block #4.

This is called BCD or Binary Coded Data (Just as an FYI)

Sw3, Sw4, Sw5 and Sw6 are used to select the individual sound within a block.

Sw3 on and Sw4-6 off gives you the first sound.

Sw4 on and Sw3, 5 and 6 off gives you the second sound.

In the instructions, there is a listing of the sounds available from each block. You might wish to “bench test” the sound board before installing it. For about $3-5 at Radio Shack or any electronics store you can get a set of clip leads (they come in a package of 10 and are sometimes called alligator clips). This will allow for a “temporary” connection. You may also wish to pick up a 9 volt battery clip as well.

A black square module goes from the board to the speaker. At one end of the module is a dot or circle in the module. This is the end that goes to the board and the other end goes to the speaker. You are only using the black and white wires from the board to this module. The brown can be cut off or just insulated, as it is intended to go to and external amplifier.

If you clip on to the black wire on the side of the board with the most amount of wires, and connect to the either the yellow or grey or white or brown you should get sound. Each color will provide a different sound and you will have three different “pings” and a Claxon. Connect the black wire additionally to U1 and now will have the ping, torpedo ping, typhoon, and explosion.

If you get stuck or have any problems, we can talk on the phone and I can go through it with you.

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby 70-1048541373 » Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:48 pm

Hi,

Quick question..... WHAT sound system? I checked the Engel site and cound'nt fine one.

Not only am I looking for something for my Type VII, but for my surface targets also!

Thanks,
Mike
???
70-1048541373

Postby Ramius-II » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Hi Mike:
I could not find it either! ??? Maybe they stopped selling them.

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Silent Hunter » Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:12 pm

I concur. There presently isn't one listed on Greg Engel's site. Not sure why. has anyone tried asking Greg? anyway I got mine working after a lot of thinking. I'm not an electronics kinda guy so took me a while, but I did it. Will hopefully have it up on AtomicSubs.com soon.
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby boatbuilder1 » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:07 pm

thanks guys this sounds like a real nightmare where in the world is all this junk going to go in the boat my god 6 switches thats rediculous
the ses ll is a mini micro relayed switch that can control to funtions in a momentary mode or latching mode
I thought this would work but if as you say 6 are needed then three ses ll's would be needed and ther inst that much space in there it would do better to go with the ram systems they are a bit larger but the speakers can be tossed and you use engle spwaker or a peizo speaker
any pics of this set up are very welcome
thanks abunch guys
I am strongly thinking of taking a eltronics course to help me out
ca
charlie

its all relative
boatbuilder1

Postby Ramius-II » Sat Jul 26, 2003 9:53 pm

Hi Chuck:
Looks like I'm answering a couple of items! If you use a PIC you can accomplish the same with two or three switches! It's what I did for my Typhoon. Six switches seemed like a lot to me also. ??? Basically, count the number of times from 1-4 a switch is activated in the up position, then the same for the switch going down position. Up for the module, down for the sound within a module. The third switch is to repeat the selected sound or turn it off. :;):

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler