Banner Ad 1

Motor Theory - More Voltage?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Trafalgar » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:27 pm

Ramius-II wrote:Welcome Bo: :)
By the way, I noticed that Engler now has a 12 volt version of the piston tanks! Maybe as a result of the design work I did? The Relay circuit can control either 6 or 12 volt motors and the "electronics" are fed from the receiver which is on 6 volts thus only the motors need to be changed! :D If the current draw is consistant with the other motors, that is 1/4 the amps, we now have a good extended run time.

Ed

By the way, SubWay Designs in the UK have been selling a 12v conversion for the Engel tanks for at least the last 2 years. I agree with Thierry, theres not much point changing to 12V when we are running a 12Ah battery :)
Trafalgar

Postby bo@ti » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:45 pm

4 Hours? Ok, not for the run-time then, but maybee if im planning on hooking up some pneumatic relays?, can't find them here in 6v configuration.

But 8 Hours sound also great;)

Trafalger, Thanks.

Im going on Dean's posting some pictures of my new connectors :p
bo@ti

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:47 pm

Hi all: :)
The primary reason for going to 12 volts is most of the equipment wants to see more than 6 volts. Cameras, transmitters, sonar units, etc. all want more than 6. I've seen where some people have had to go to a DC to DC converter to get things to work. To me it is easier to drop the voltage than to have to raise it! Even the best inverter is only 95% effecient so again you loose power having to up-convert.

When you look at overall power consumption and size vs. power, a 12 volt 96 amp hours is not much larger than the 6 volt 60 amp hour battery originally speced for the Typhoon. At 1/2 to 1/4 the power you have more juice available for all the other goodies. :p

There is also other considerations such as the wire size can be smaller saving weight and bad connections aren't as bad. ???

Just a few thoughts to share.

Ed :D
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius-II » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:50 pm

Ramius-II wrote:Hi all: :)
The primary reason for going to 12 volts is most of the equipment wants to see more than 6 volts. Cameras, transmitters, sonar units, etc. all want more than 6. I've seen where some people have had to go to a DC to DC converter to get things to work. To me it is easier to drop the voltage than to have to raise it! Even the best inverter is only 95% effecient so again you loose power having to up-convert.

When you look at overall power consumption and size vs. power, a 12 volt 96 amp hours is not much larger than the 6 volt 60 amp hour battery originally speced for the Typhoon. At 1/2 to 1/4 the power you have more juice available for all the other goodies. :p

There is also other considerations such as the wire size can be smaller saving weight and bad connections aren't as bad. ???

Just a few thoughts to share. Do they allow GPS for navigations events at thr regattas? :D

Ed :D

:D
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler