Banner Ad 1

New to R/C Submarining… - Introducing myself…

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Bob Blaylock » Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:05 pm

When I first saw it at a hobby store, with a price tag of $305.99, my reaction was “Gee, that's neat, but I wouldn' t pay three hundred bucks for it.” When they dropped the price to $229.99, my reaction didn't change much. But then, a few weeks ago…

At that price, how could I turn it down? So, the hobby shop got my $50, and I went home with a Nikko “Sea Wolf” R/C submarine.
Bob Blaylock

Postby Ramius-II » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:05 pm

Hi Bob:
Welcome to the wonderful world of subs! I think you will find the group here very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Ed :)
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:02 am

I am curious as to why you have that link at the bottom. Certainly not RC submarine related! Anyway - enjoy your Nikko.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:40 pm

...I've temporarily removed the link and asked Bob to help us understand why it might be appropriate.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby bo@ti » Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:58 pm

Welcome Bob! U made a bargain!

Bark At The Moon!
bo@ti

Postby Bob Blaylock » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:27 pm

Ramius-II wrote:Hi Bob:
Welcome to the wonderful world of subs! I think you will find the group here very knowledgeable and willing to help.

Ed :)

It seems almost unfortunate that there isn't enough complexity to my Nikko for me to very much need or benefit from the wisdom of this group. Having looked over the site, I can see that there are much greater degrees of sophistication in R/C submarining than what is involved in my Nikko. Had I the time and resources, it looks like this could make a very fascinating hobby indeed.

There is one thing I've wondered about.

My Nikko comes with some weights, that you add or remove to “balance” it. The idea is to get it so that it has just the right slight positive buoyancy. Not enough weight, and it won't submerge; too much weight, and it will not surface.

So far, I've only ever run it in the swimming pool at my apartment complex. Having previously “balanced” it for the water in this swimming pool, on a subsequent day, I put it in, and ran it, and it went to the bottom and didn't come up. Apparently, the water in the pool that day was considerably less dense than it had been on a previous day when I had last run it. This rather suprised me. I would expect substantial variations in density if I ran it in different places, in different ponds and pools with different amounts of stuff dissolved in the water, but I would expect the water in the same pool to be fairly constant, aside from what I would expect to be minor variations due to temperature.

Any thoughts on this?

Edited By Bob Blaylock on 1070341797
Bob Blaylock

Postby Bob Blaylock » Sat Jul 12, 2003 5:30 pm

JWLaRue wrote:...I've temporarily removed the link and asked Bob to help us understand why it might be appropriate.

I didn't realize you were that particular about sig content. I've been using that link in my sigs on most other forums. No big deal to me. If you don't want it here, then I don' t need to put it here. I'll have to come up with a more approriate sig to use in this forum.
Bob Blaylock

Return to R/C Modeler