Banner Ad 1

Incorrect BEC voltage - Disconnect supply wire?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Robse » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:00 pm

Hi, fellow subbers.

I've got a Graupner "NavyV40R" (Gr 2875) motor regulator w. BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit), with a 5.5 volt output through the BEC. I've also got too "Mini Switches 40" (Gr 3294) from Graupner. They are supposed to work as remote controlled switches, and simply switch either +12V or GND (Ground) through their relay contacts, to my electronics board controlling the dive valves, but they're rated 7.2 - 14 volts. That's where I get worried...

Should I disconnect the red supply wire in the 3-wire connector that goes into my receiver, and then let the mini switches get their supply from the 12 volt that they switch, while leaving the orange signal wire and the brown ground wire, or should I shoot the engineer?

I seam to recall that signals does not like it when traveling between two units with non-matching supply voltages...

REALLY hope you guys has the wise answer to this one... surely someone before me has had this problem with non-matching BEC voltages?
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Skip Asay » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:59 pm

Robert -

I think you'll find that although the Navy V40R has BEC, the Mini-switches don't. The 7.2 - 14 volt rating is for the item they will be controlling.
Generally, speed controls and electronic switches have 2 distinctly different areas: 1 is the electronics side which reads the receiver's signal and decodes it, requires a nominal 5 volt supply, and uses current measured in milliamps. The other portion carries all the heavy current/voltage such as the 7.2 - 14 volts mentioned above.
If the connector which plugs into the receiver has 3 wires in it when you open the (shipping) box, it's fairly safe to believe that the manufacturer doesn't expect you to remove 1 of those wires.

Hope this helps.

Skip Asay
SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby Robse » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:15 am

Thanks alot, Skip. :) I was hoping that this was the case, so now I've got build up enough nerves to try. Your explanation sounds absolutely reasonable, also backed up by the fact that there was no "warning" in the papers that came with the thing. There's the same short manual in 6 different languages, but not a schematics..
Thanks again for your reply, Sir. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby bo@ti » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:09 pm

Hi, I had to remove the + wire from my controllers (ESC), when i used them in conjunction with the graupner Multiswitch system. This was stated in the ESC manual.
bo@ti

Return to R/C Modeler