Banner Ad 1

Dumas Akula mods by Dave Welch

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:09 pm

Dave Welch sent me a few shots of what he has done with a Dumas Akula to make it a MUCH more scale model. Its pretty danged amazing!
Check it out at my website - go to RC-Submarines.com and once you are in the site, scroll down to "What's New"

(Photo copyright Dave Welch 2003)

Edited By TMSmalley on 1056769795
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:23 am

Dear dave,

It is really nice to see the results of someone modifying something and making it look really good. The Akula looks fantastic.

Just one thought, the prop looks a little small.

Anyway , well done

regards,

Dave H :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Bigdave » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:48 am

Thanks Tim for the nice comments. I put alot of hours into the boat. I am quite happy with the way it turned out. I just wanted to show you could start with a simple design and with a little time make a nice improvement. To answer your question David, the prop is very close to scale. I took the size off the full size prints I have, and purchased one from Engel at 40MM. It is almost dead on size to my prints. One problem I did incounter was making the rudders and dive planes exact size to the prints made them to small to be effective. You can see in the one photo I just made some lexan extentions. They easily pop on and off and can not be seen in the water. It works great with these. Thanks, Dave. :)
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler