Banner Ad 1

Missles,operational - technical

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Ramius » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:44 am

A while back, I started a link on torpedos. It was interesting to see the answers,and to find out there are things "working under the dark waters".
Now I would like to start a discussion about operational missles.
I have seen a typhoon set up for estes rockets,but did not see it in action.I have heard many people have had bad results with estes rockets.Is this true? Some use the propel-type missles,in keeping with the gas-type torpedos,simpler is better.
I would like to hear from members on ideas that worked well, and ideas that did not.Later,people will find this link using a search.This would be a great place to list experiances.
Also,how about the hatches? This question holds true for torpedos also.How did you overcome this problem?
Descriptions of designs,or pictures,would be cool.
Who has gone for the most on-board operational missles?
Descriptions of how-I-did-it could help others.
Ideas guys?
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:12 am

For some background material on Propel missiles, check the SubCommittee (this) website where there is an article called "Launch This". "Launch This" article

Also check out my websiteRC-Submarines.com under "Torpedoes, how about missiles?" I have pictures and descriptions of Matt Spade's efforts in launching Propel filled missiles. Ray Mason's 1995 SubRegatta Video has footage of Matt's missiles being launched and a fairly long and detailed explanation of how he does it.

Mike Dory tells a story in another of Ray's videos of how an Estes rocket he launched off one of his boats, tore through the screen canopy of his swimming pool and caromed through the neighbors (closed) window. Making a bit of a mess and smoke in the person's house

Edited By TMSmalley on 1055848474
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Art Broder » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:20 am

I also had disastrous results trying to use Estes rockets many years ago.
I have since developed a simple scale missile launching system for my 1/72 L.A. class model. It utilizes a bicycle tire inflator, which contains a small (12 gm) CO2 cartridge. I manually open a hatch before I plan to use the VLS on a specific patrol. The system was demonstrated successfully on each day of the Annual SubRegatta in Johnston, R.I. in 2002. I hope to be able to show it in action again at this year's Regatta, July 26 & 27.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler