Banner Ad 1

Keeping periscopes straight and removable?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Casey Thrower » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:07 pm

I built some scopes for my 1/96 permit out of brass and I wanted to know the secret to keeping them straight and removable.The oval brass was too big so I formed some round 1/8 inch oval with some pliers and soildered round 1/16 inside. I know they need some sort of sleeve but wondered how the pros do it.
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Postby Dolphin » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:53 am

That is how I do it too. Use the oval tubing for your fairing, and insert a 1/8 inch inside diameter tube inside, fill in the ends of the oval tube. The foil shaped tubing originally made for R/C airplane strut fairings are perfect for our periscape fairings in 1/96. Have the smaller tube extend out the bottom of the fairing so the whole mast can be inserted into a socket in the sail, kinda like techological flower arranging. lol. Remember, the Permit class attack scope (the most after positioned mast on the sail) did not use a periscope foil shaped fairing, however most of the other masts did.

Steve R.
Dolphin

Postby Casey Thrower » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:49 am

Dolphin wrote:The foil shaped tubing originally made for R/C airplane strut fairings are perfect for our periscape fairings in 1/96. Steve R.

I couldn't find any oval in the size I need for 1/96 as the ones at my hobby shop were all too big. Do they make brass ovals that small? If so where can I get it?
Casey Thrower SC Member #1675

"Oh Lord, Thy sea is so large and my boat is so small"
Casey Thrower

Return to R/C Modeler