Banner Ad 1

Ohio below waterline. - Websites

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby David H » Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:09 am

Hello all,

I'm currently looking for any sites that have good photo's of ohio"s or any other american Boats in Dry dock. I'm doing an Ohio at the moment and want to look at weathering and other details. I'm finding this quest extremely difficult.

Are there any websites that show heaps of photo's in drydocks. Not really interested in ones in the water. I've looked at all of those.

thanks ,

David Hughes

Sydney, Australia :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby Crazy Ivan » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:32 pm

For several drydock pixs of an old boomer, checkout the photo section of

http://www.ssbn601.com/

for some before and after shots. :;):
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jim Kerswell » Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:34 am

There are few public domain photographs of Ohio-class submarines in drydock. In fact I've seen more pictures of drydocked Russian ballistic-missile boats than U.S. boats. One good picture of the USS Alaska appears in the book "Modern U.S. Navy Submarines" by Robert and Robin Genat, page 42. A photo of the USS Georgia, taken from aft and above may be found at:
http://www.americanhistory.si.edu/subs/anglesdangles/taming2.html#

This particular picture hints at the shape of the screw and is part of an interesting article on submarine screws written for a Smithsonian Exhibit commemorating the hundreth anniversary of the U.S. Submarine Service.
Jim Kerswell
SubCommittee Member

Postby jlemons » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:15 am

There are some excellent picture of the USS Henry Clay in dry dock as it goes through a start to finish paint job. These are on the Henry Clay home page. http://boomer.user-services.com
James Lemons
Fort Worth Texas
You are correct Captian, I see them. On our right as well as our left. Sensors indicate them to be.....................gray hair.
jlemons

Postby Feet Wet » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:30 pm

Hello David,
While this is not a Boomer,there are two good photos of the U.S.S. Greeneville SSN 772 to be found at the following site. www.navsource.org/archives
Cheers
Jonathan Eno :D
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby Yeoman742 » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:16 pm

I know this isn't a website, but if you pick up a book called "Modern U.S. Navy Submarines" by Robert and Robin Genat, there is atleast one good picture of a Ohio in drydock, and many more pictures of Ohio class, LA Class, and Seawolf Class. I bought my book at Barnes and Noble, and I found that this is truely a good book..
Yeoman742

Postby Robse » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:09 am

Hi, fellow Ohio Class builder.

I have a few pic's of Ohio's where you can see the colors below the normal waterline. They're not great, but I'll leave it up to you to be the judge of the value.
The link is: http://hjem.get2net.dk/robse/SSBN/SSBN.htm Look under "Picture Gallery & Sound Effects"

See you on patrol. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Return to R/C Modeler