Banner Ad 1

Electric motors for torpedoes

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Marvin Harten » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:05 pm

Hi-

Question: Are the micro electric motors used on the miniature r/c cars the same as the motors used on paging devices? The paging device motors are available from various surplus companies. Also, does anyone have ideas or vendors re: propellers ( < .50 " dia.) for the torps?

Thanks.
Marvin Harten
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius-II » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:09 pm

Hi Marvin:
Last time I checked, the small props ran about $5.00 each and it was one of the vendors in the Subcommittee list. There is not a lot of difference in the motors, they use a permanent magnet. One thing that was useful was to take one motor as a sacrificial motor and use the center pin to remove the weight from the pager motor. The weight is just pressed on (you can see the little dimple). Take a piece of metal, cut a slot in it to fit betewwn the weight and the motor, bang on the shaft and you're done! Don't try to pry the weight off.

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seasub88 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:22 pm

hmm banging on shaft... is that like raising periscope. ha ha
Now back to serious work. jim :O :O
Seasub88

Postby smwarships » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:31 pm

Hi Marvin ,

A couple of weeks ago I visited my local Radio Shack to buy
solder and some fuse boxes . When I was there I checked
things out just for the heck of it .
Any way I noticed that they sell those small rc cars that fit in the palm of your hand and they also sell packages of replacement electrical motors just in case you want to beef
up or replace a motor . The packages come with 2 or 3 motors
to a pack depending on the package you buy . Those little motors would be ideal for torpedos .... :D

Darle
darle@smwarships.com
Scale Model WarShips :D
smwarships

Postby Ramius-II » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:17 am

Just thought I'd add some information: The little motors are from ZipZap http://www.zipzaps.com/charts.asp and under accessories you'll find the motors and their speeds ranging from 16,000 to 34,000 RPM! :D The Radio Shack part number for just the motors is 60-7521 and cost is $7.99!

I've sent Raboesch props an e-mail requesting costs, etc. of an 8 mm prop with a .76 mm shaft hole that would be compatable. I've never designed a prop before so I have no idea how many blades, pitch angle, etc. hopefully they do! The last time I checked on the cost from th prop-shop in England it was $10.00 for the first and $5.00 for additional props.

Ed :D
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler