Banner Ad 1

A Trip To ThorDesign

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Boomer » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:46 pm

I just returned from a trip to Texas to greet our Son as he returned from Iraq. On the way back to our home in South Dakota I called Matt Thor to see if I could stop by to see his shop in Wichita. We drive an RV and parked it in front of Matt's house as we arrived late at night at Matt's. Matt works out of a fairly small shop, maybe 20' x 25' but it is jammed from the floor to ceiling with subs and airplanes. Sitting on his new projects bench as he calls it was a new pattern for a 1/48th Gato that made me get a lump in my throat. It is the most beautiful model I have ever seen in my life. He was busy fitting the photo etched deck to the hull. Matt explained that it would still be a few months before it is released, but what a piece of work! Growing up towards the end of the era of Fleetboats has always left me fond of those boats. Matt has certainly done the men who sailed in these boats proud. This kit is going to fall together. From what I saw there will be very little work building, mostly just assembling

Also sitting there was a nearly finished master for a new 1/96 Ohio. That is a very impressive model and has lots of detail on it. Matt said he was still working out some of the finer details with Dave Merriman, but it would be released in just a few weeks. I spent about 11 hours in Matt's shop and walked away with a new Permit kit, and an LA Flight III kit that Matt worked with me on showing me how to do the glasswork. He makes it all look so easy, but believe me as a non-glass guy I was covered in resin and thickener and still have no idea what he was doing , but I had fun learning and laying up my own baot. it came out of the mold on Sunday morning absolutely beautiful thanks to Matt's guidance. I got the chance on Sunday to run Matt's Seawolf in a golf course pond and left his shop with a handful of electronics. If you ever get the chance to travel to Wichita, make it point to stop by and see this place. You will be blown away!
Oh...also sitting in the back were the patterns for a new Type IIC, Type XXI, and Type XXIII.

RJ
Have Fun,

RJ
Boomer

Postby Tim Morris » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:01 pm

you are lucky-when i was in wichita the time was limited due to my school schedule at flight safety and it really cut into time for fun..i did get to meet matt in person and talk about whats new though, and like you i couldnt have been more pleased with the visit.
i am one of the guys thats gonna be on the recieving end of one of those ohios and believe me-i look forward to it.
i like you can do many things, but the guys that make these kits are few and far between. my hats off to em!!
Best Regards,
Tim Morris
Tim Morris

Postby smwarships » Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:31 am

Hi RJ,

Sounds like you had a great visit with Matt .
Did you take any photos of his subs ?
Matt has been a big help to me also with emails about how
to work with Epoxy Resin and how much of what weight
of cloth to use in a hull .
After reading your posting , looks like I need to contact him
about photo etching . However I am not to sure how that
will go over with the wife , we live in a 2 bedroom apartment
and 1 bedroom is my computer/work room , adding more
chemicals and equipment just might push her over the edge ?

How is your son ? You stated that he had just came back
from Iraq , that trip just could not have been any fun for him
and nerve racking for you .....
I am sure that you are glad that he is home now .
So do me a favor , shake his hand and tell him Thanks
for all his great work .... :D

Darle
Scale Model WarShips

Edited By smwarships on 1055406760
smwarships

Postby Boomer » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:43 pm

Darle,

He is a tank Commander. We were very worried about him, but he was in one of the very last groups to be deployed. He saw very little action and spent most of his time protecting supply lines, which is a blessing if you ask me.

I did take a few pictures. Most are when I am running the Seawolf. When I get them developed I can send them to you if you would like to see them. I took a couple of Gato and the Type XXI. The Gato is the one I am waiting for.

:)
Have Fun,

RJ
Boomer

Postby smwarships » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:31 pm

Hi RJ ,

A Tank Commander ? Then I guess his tank is a
Abrahams A2 the newest tank being deployed ? That is a sharp piece of work . Tell your son thanks for the outstanding
work he and the others perfromed over there and welcome
home .
As for the subs , I would like to see the photos of your visit
to Matt's place and your Fleet in action .
I say Fleet because of the selection you have Seawolf ,
Permit , LA III and I believe you just ordered the new Alfa ??

From your description , the Fleet boat will be the crown
jewel to any sub fleet ...

Darle :D
smwarships

Postby Boomer » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:39 pm

Darle,

I just picked up the Permit & LA. The only other boat I have is a Deboer Skipjack. I could not get a Seawolf at the shop as there was a waiting list and I did not want to wait. I would like the Alfa, but my wallet has its limits. These 2 will keep me busy for quite some time. I intend to get one of the Scale ShipYard's I-19s later this year which will my first try at a WWII boat.
Have Fun,

RJ
Boomer

Return to R/C Modeler