Banner Ad 1

Ocean/saltwater operations? - R/C subs in saltwater

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby 115-1054579405 » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:49 pm

I've been doing a bit of reading about R/C subs and am finding them quite fascinating. From what I gather, they are not generally operated in saltwater, either in the ocean, marina or from a beach. Is this understanding correct? I am aware that there must be additional problems of corrosion, current, etc. inherent to ocean operations, but was just wondering if anyone does indeed sail their submarines in the "real" ocean?
115-1054579405

Postby Desert Boat » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:18 pm

There are a few locations such the San Diego Model Boat Basin which has been the site of many an excellent scale meet with subs. The pond is fed by waters from the Pacific about a mile from Sea World. Many submariners including Mike Dory and Dave Manley ran in salt. They both encourged thorough fresh water rinsings after running and then submerging in a fresh water pool or tank after a day out to 'flush' out the internals. Of course, submerging for targets can be tricky. But, beaches and open water wouldn't be too safe. I seem to remember someone in the SF Bay area lost a boat when they had problems. Oh yes, Mike said to not let your receiver antenna get under as the signal IS NOT conductive under salt water as it is in fresh. :)
Ray Agee
SCM #2551
Cactus Navy
Tempe, Arizona
Lord ... Shield us from the UltraSensitive!
Desert Boat

Postby Robse » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:05 pm

... not to forget two other major disadvantages with salty waters: The salt and sand particles might 'grind' and wear the inside technical stuff. I know that there's also sand and stuff in lakes, but it's more calm waters, and there's therefore a much smaller risk of getting sand into the solenoids and pumps. ALSO: If there's ANY oil in the water, keep your O-rings away. Many rubber typer cannot endure oil...

I live on a small island, with all the ocean around me that I could want, but still I'm planning on going inland to a few lakes when sailing upon the completion of my Ohio class sub. (It's the water between Denmark and Sweden, and the waves are too high anyway, and filled with sinking Chinese ships these days. :( )
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby 115-1054579405 » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:25 pm

Thanks for the replies...sounds like it's doable, but a bit more difficult than freshwater.
115-1054579405

Return to R/C Modeler