Banner Ad 1

Servo Angle

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Ramius-II » Thu May 08, 2003 10:45 am

My question is when I measure the travel of my servo it appears the total angle of travel is 110 degrees. I always thought servos traveled a total of 180 degrees? If the total travel is 110 degrees then a rudder (for example) would only move +/- 55 degrees. Is this correct or is there something else I haven't considered? ???

Thanks, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby rcade » Thu May 08, 2003 11:02 am

Not all servos have the same angular travel. Most are close to 180 degrees.

Most radios have end point adjustment to control servo travel. They also have mid point adjustment. Either or both of these adjustments can affect servo motion and travel.

Most computer radios have both and many non-computerized radios have electro-mechanical (screws and pots) adjustments.

If using a computer radio check to be sure you are not using settings for another model that may not be the one you think. I've done it before. If in doubt reset. The reset usually centers midpoint and maximizes travel on most radios.

Hope this helps. :p
Rob Cade
SC# 2460
rcade

Postby Robse » Thu May 08, 2003 1:19 pm

Hi Ramius-II:

A +/- 55 degree rudder movement is quite sharp, U know.. The comming Ohio hull from ThorDesign can move it's rudders +/- 35 degrees, enough to control the >70" model. R U sure U need more than that?

If it's a Q about rudder rod travel distance, you can change this by changing mechanism where the rods are connected to the rudders. (Have played with this myself)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Ramius-II » Thu May 08, 2003 6:14 pm

Thank you guys very much! :D Mine is the F-14 Navy which is not computerized and I could not imagine the bow planes and rudder reaching 90 degrees. ???
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby 65-1050534571 » Fri May 09, 2003 2:08 pm

Hi,

Not all brands of servo s travel the exact same amount of degrees.
But a servo travelling +/- 60 Degrees does not necessarily move the Rudder +/-60 Degrees. It depends of the length of Servo horn and Rudder horn respectively. If the Rudder horn and Servo horn are equally long, they will have the same angular travel. But if the Servo horn is shorter than the Rudder horn, the rudder travel will be smaller, but with more torque.
Think of the rule of the lever!
Also I use a non-computerized F14 Navy, but with the optional DualRate module (F1541), the amount of Servo travel can be adjusted further from 30-100%.

Regards,
Anders
65-1050534571

Return to R/C Modeler