Banner Ad 1

Glue and Water - Which ones don't belong?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:38 am

I'm at the point where I'll be adding the "guts" to my Nautilus soon, and I'm vaguely remembering a myriad of posts here as to which glues don't react well to prolonged exposure to water.

Just so I'm straight on things... can anyone tell me which glues I should and shouldn't be using to mount hardware/linkages etc...?

My hull halves will be "glued" with fibreglass and resin, so I'm not too worried about that, but how about the components? ???

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:13 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:I'm at the point where I'll be adding the "guts" to my Nautilus soon, and I'm vaguely remembering a myriad of posts here as to which glues don't react well to prolonged exposure to water.

Just so I'm straight on things... can anyone tell me which glues I should and shouldn't be using to mount hardware/linkages etc...?

Well, first of all, don't use elmers. :D

On a more serious note, I seem to recall watching a sub conference video (one where Skip Asay and others were talking) that said not to use the 5 minute or 30 minute epoxies in places where they would have prolonged contact with water. Something about them turning into goo after a year or so. My impression was that you could use them inside the WTC but not outside.

Now, that video was shot "many moons ago", so I'm not sure if that's still true of today's 5 or 30 minute epoxies or not. But I thought I'd pass it along.

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby Robse » Mon Apr 07, 2003 10:30 am

Carl:

I think you're right. When my stepdad fixes his glassfiber / epoxy boat, he waits only one moon and then runs out with his little brush and paints the newly repaired scratch while mumbeling that epoxy othervise will absorb moisture.
I'm not sure what would be the perfect sloution though, but I'm about to find some usable glue my self, so I can get back to y'all with an answer.
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:13 pm

Use resin and rovings for bonding into the hull.
24 hour epoxy/araldite for bits and bobs that the former won't work with.
A very good brand of cyano for detail pieces (can't go wrong with loctite, give the hobby brands the heave-ho, they're generally crap!)

Don't use:

Quick set epoxy in non watertight areas.
Fibreglass/bondo filler on anything that you wish to remain watertight (alright to use on the hull though)

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1049833507
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robse » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:29 am

HI again.

Andy: When U say "24 hr." epoxy, is that really the 16 hour type? I just went to the local hardware store, and they had alot of the 5 minute stuff, and one (1) other: An epoxy / arledite that was completely hardend after 16 hours. Would that do? Second: Can it be applied with a stiff brush rather than a stick, and third: How to you store your apply-tool so it won't not dry up?

Hope I'm not asking too many Q's... :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby John » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:24 am

Can I recommend a sealant called Sykoflex marine sealant. I use it extensively on my (real) boat.

We use it as a liquid gasket between deck fittings and fibreglass hull, under all sea cock flanges and under all bolt heads and washers and to seal around windows and thorugh deck electrical fittings. It sets to a rubbery consistancy and is impervious to sea water and once in place is absolutely waterproof.

It is a tad expensive but is better than any silicone sealant. It is widely available from European marinas (its a French product).

John
John

Postby 65-1050534571 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:16 pm

Hi Bob,

Most modellers I have talked to, avoid the fast curing Epoxy´es, 5 and 20 min. for boats.
I have used a 1-hour Epoxy and a 2-component Acrylic glue named Fusion in my ship, both from the company Deluxe Materials. My ship so far only has around 12 hours exposure to water, but so far I see no problems.

www.Deluxematerials.com

This company actually recommends those two glues for model boats.

1-hour Epoxy for Glass-fibre/Glass-fibre and/or with Brass.
Fusion for all other types of polymers and metals.

I have also used a high viscous Cyanoacrylate for fast fixation of a rubber gasket to Aluminium. Still the fixation is absolutely bomb-proof.

Also Stabellit Express should be excellent under water.

Hope this may help you.

Anders
65-1050534571

Return to R/C Modeler