Banner Ad 1

Engel Dive planes

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby jlemons » Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:58 pm

I'm currently building an Engel Typhoon and in the process of connecting the dive plan mechanism using a Robbe 8370 switch module. The question I have is How do you connect this? You only have 2 wires. I know you need to connect to K1 & K2, BUT do I need to splice in 2 additional wires to reverse polarity? i.e. +/- on K1 and -/+ on K2. Also should I disconnect the memory function. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
James Lemons
Fort Worth Texas
You are correct Captian, I see them. On our right as well as our left. Sensors indicate them to be.....................gray hair.
jlemons

Postby 69-1047320490 » Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:08 pm

Hi
Yes, it would probably be best to not use the memory function. What it does is lock the expansion module output until the switch is flipped again! So on a momentary position, when you release the switch and it goes back to center, it’s as if you never took you fingers off the switch. To turn things off, you have to flip the switch a second time. ???

Probably the best is switch #4 on your 8101 switch module, which is output K4 on your 8370. Ignore the center pin as it is power and only use the outer two pins. K-1 and K-2 are already polarity reversing so all that is needed is a connection to ground through your module. If you wish you can pre-test the bow plane board (disconnect the shaft to the planes for testing) by connecting a clip lead (a $3.00 a set) Radio Shack item and very useful) to the relay and the other end to ground. If it works the way you want it to then you can now connect the wires to the switch module. In the upper left hand corner of the schematic they say which connection does what (retract or extend). If you get stuck, feel free to e-mail or we can talk on the phone and I’ll walk you through it. :)

Ed Cannady
69-1047320490

Postby jlemons » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:17 am

Thank you for your reply. I think I understand some-what. First I need to disconnect the memory function then use only the outside 2 pins on the module ignoring the center pin. I asume 1 wire to each outside pin. But what do you mean by ground through the module????
James Lemons
Fort Worth Texas
You are correct Captian, I see them. On our right as well as our left. Sensors indicate them to be.....................gray hair.
jlemons

Postby 69-1047320490 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:27 pm

Hi James:
Sorry for the delay in answering, got diverted to another project. The expansion module has Intigrated Circuits with basically a transistor being used as an "electronic" switch. When you flip the switch on the transmitter, the electronic transistor switch provides a connection to battery minus or "ground" or "common".
In most electrical and electronic circuits, power (+) is switched and ground/common/battery minus is connected to everything. :) In R/C stuff, the opposite is true. ??? Power (+) is connected to everything and we provide minus thru a switch or control device like the expansion module! :;): Takes a little getting use to since we tie things like the motor housings to minus to avoid noise from the motor's brushes. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Best Regards, Ed :)

Edited By Ed Cannady on 1049214666
69-1047320490

Postby jlemons » Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:53 am

Hi Ed just wanted to say thanks for all your help. After drawing up a schematic on what you helped me through it makes a whole lot more sense.

Edited By jlemons on 1049716443
James Lemons
Fort Worth Texas
jlemons

Postby 69-1047320490 » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:29 pm

You're very welcome Jim, I enjoyed talking with you and sharing in your success!

Best Regards, Ed
69-1047320490

Return to R/C Modeler