Banner Ad 1

Battery / WTC - What battery type to use

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby THH » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:53 am

Hi there,

what kind of battery can i use outside of the wtc. How do I avoid to short-circuit when this battery is submerged.

Thomas

:O
THH

Postby Silent Hunter » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:00 am

I'm not an expert on this, but my good friend Romain Klassen in Victoria B.C. states that this is quite safe. He maintains that ALL his (u-boats) run w/ external batteries. Makes sense to me. We don't run these models in saltwater so there's not a problem with the conductivity,radio interference, or corrosion from the saltwater.

You need to be able to utilize the biggest and best battery your boat can handle. The reason I say this is you need maximum runtime from your batteries If you need more guidance, please contact me here via the forum.
Sincerely,
Richard Frisch
Richard Frisch
Subcommittee member #2348
Silent Hunter

Postby Wheels » Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:49 am

Thomas......I would seal the positive terminal of the battery so you don’t corrode the terminal. Electrolysis will occur if you don't do this.

Jim Wheeler
Jim Wheeler....."Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
Wheels
SubCommittee Member

Postby THH » Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:02 am

:) Thanks

But how do I know what type of battery is watertight...is there a spezial sign or label on it?

Thomas

My Webpage
THH

Postby Skip Asay » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:43 pm

Thomas -
Basically, sealed lead acid (SLA) and gell cells are good as is. Just seal the positive terminal as Jim W. suggested. Everything else (Nicad/NiMH) needs needs more in the way of sealing since the cell cases are metal and not plastic as SLA batteries are. The heat shrink wrapping, by itself, is waterproof but it doesn't present a 100% coverage. It should be a relatively simple matter to seal around the heat shrink with silicone, though.

Skip Asay/SubTech
The U.S. of A - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave
Skip Asay

Postby THH » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:24 pm

:;):

Thank you all,

now I got the information I´ve searched for a long time...

I´m very glad that I got a member of this Forum.

Thomas
THH

Postby Britt Boyette » Sun Mar 30, 2003 4:21 am

Nicads work well in fresh water too. If you decide to use the old standby 7.2 Nicads, you must remove the shrinkwrap covering and dry off the batteries as soon as you remove the sub from the water. Use fiberglass packing tape to hold the cells together.
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Return to R/C Modeler