Banner Ad 1

Hi and is there anyone around me?

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Hi and is there anyone around me?

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:29 am

I've seen a few Engel Typhoons built up, and none of them were braced.

Ramesh (Wheelerdealer) and Bob Martin are both very good people to speak to about this kit, as they have both built Typhoons up to a high standard.

The kits do a have a slight warp which manifests itself as a gap at the bow. this appears to be a fault with their tooling, as it seems to affect every kit.

Some builders live with the gap, others fill it in, and scribe in the anechoic tile detail.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:46 am

Sub culture wrote:I've seen a few Engel Typhoons built up, and none of them were braced.

Ramesh (Wheelerdealer) and Bob Martin are both very good people to speak to about this kit, as they have both built Typhoons up to a high standard.

The kits do a have a slight warp which manifests itself as a gap at the bow. this appears to be a fault with their tooling, as it seems to affect every kit.

Some builders live with the gap, others fill it in, and scribe in the anechoic tile detail.

Strange, I'd leave it flat and indented so it wasn't flush to make it look like acoustic tiles fell off. Sort of like every photo of a Oscar.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:30 pm

After reading some of the other threads around here I'm getting the feeling I'm intermittent in terms of experience. Should be interesting to see how my subs turn out. OH! almost forgot, my wife surprised me and it would seem that I have Sovremenny and a Arleigh Burke coming, both RTR. I'm not sure where we're going to put all of this, but at least she can hunt me now. :P
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 am

My T9CAP's 75mHz module came in today. Good news! It works. Bad News! The crystals I ordered for diversity don't seem to work in Futaba modules or receivers. It was weird, I put in the Futaba CH69 crystals and we are go, I pop in the paired 3rd party crystals (like say CH67, CH68) and we have nothing, but the Controller says it's talking to the module. :? Once again, these are paired 3rd party paired crystals that don't do anything. Anyone else ever have this problem? It seems I'm stuck with CH69 but 69 will do I guess.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:50 am

Crystals tend to be specific to manufacturers e.g. you should use Futaba crystals with Futaba Transmitters. If you use other makes you may get control but won't have the same range or it may not work at all.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 am

Sub culture wrote:Crystals tend to be specific to manufacturers e.g. you should use Futaba crystals with Futaba Transmitters. If you use other makes you may get control but won't have the same range or it may not work at all.

Yeah I figured that. Futaba gear at 75mHz is hard to come by. I'm just lucky their modules even work in Wflys. so far I'm locked into CH69, since it's all I have of theirs.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:07 am

A synth module or transmitter is the way to go if you can find one.

Hitec spectra module are good and compatible with Futaba pinout.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 pm

I have a synth module, but it must be faulty. Burned out 2 of my Wflys. Good thing I got a deal on five of them. That puts me at 3 8 channel Wflys, and the T9. I also tracked down some Futaba crystal sets. Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to try and meet up with a buddy of mine to try and get the channel issues sorted out. With 7 servos hooked up, 4 respond to the throttle and 3 channels seem to be duds. We'll get it sorted out, even if he is a fly boy :) . I'm really happy with how far we've gotten so far.

You know, I've built a lot of plastic models, followed by RTR planes, followed by a few surface boats. So far I have to say I'm rather liking this experience. She should be interesting when she's done. Would be cooler if I could convince the guys at the R/C flight group to make a P-3 though.

Thanks again,
Josh
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:47 am

Probably worth having it checked over,as they're getting hard to find, and i don't suppose it's anything too major gone wrong with it.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:17 am

Sub culture wrote:Crystals tend to be specific to manufacturers e.g. you should use Futaba crystals with Futaba Transmitters. If you use other makes you may get control but won't have the same range or it may not work at all.

For the ranges at which we run our subs, any loss of distance is unlikely to be noticeable. (If there even is any loss of range)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:03 am

I'm probably not going to get it fixed. I have 4 working modules, 4 working transmitters and my 5 futaba crystal sets just came in. So it's all good. Someday we'll see if I can program them and make a sub that works. :D
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Britt Boyette » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:58 am

Where are you guys running your subs in Oregon?
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby Southern Or » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:46 am

http://www.pmpba.org I contacted these guys.

In other news I should be getting a over priced F-14 soon.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:21 pm

I got my F-14. The case for it was a disaster so the transmitter portion is now in the "new" 40mHz controller with the old 75mHz controller back on it since the back has the FCC ID on it. Seems to work fine now.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler